Installing applications on 2 Mac's

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thehereticking, Jul 30, 2009.

1. thehereticking macrumors newbie

I just bought a new MBP, which comes with the Mac OS.X install CD and a second CD with the software (iLife).

I also have a second older Macbook (Intel based, 'white' one running Leopard), which doesn't come with iLife (actually, all I want is iPhoto on there). I tried copying the iPhoto app over directly, and dropping it into Apps on the white machine, but it wouldn't run. I then tried installing it from the 2nd DVD supplied with the new MBP but it said that it couldn't install it on that computer (no reason given).

I was under the impression that it was a fairly simple process to copy over an app to another mac, but being a newbie to Mac's I guess I'm missing something here.

I don't really want to go and buy iLife for the 2nd Mac as all I want is iPhoto on there! (Shame you can't buy it separately as a single download from iTunes or something like that.) Can anyone advise why it would not be installing, and what I can do to get it to work - if possible!

Thanks,

Matt

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It's not installing because the disc you're trying to install from is not a retail copy, it is provided for use on the Mac it was purchased with only.

If you want iPhoto on another machine you will need to buy it.