installing apps and tidying up query....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bob2131, Aug 14, 2008.

1. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

hi
    i downloaded and installed opera browser and another appgrabber (sic).

when it asked me to put the install file in apps folder......well, there was one thing on the desktop,,,,,,,,and there was also a window with it.......

after i did it.......there was still the file left on the desktop.
    and another file on the desktop, with a little arrow on it, alias i think?

so i started deleting them one by one.........and then opera stopped workin.
    then i got i bak out the trash.......then ok.........

then i put them back into apps folder.......so there like two opera files in folder.........so i deleted the little arrow one..........seems to be running ok.

when you put something in the apps folder (install it) what do you do with the install file?? the tips on this website say delete it or store it.
    where do i store it? in the apps folder?

and how can i see the file extensions of files?
    i was watching lynda.com tutorial and they guys files had the extensions listed.

on the pc, when i downloaded and installed somthing, i just put the install file(s) in my documents. so if i have to re-install, i dont have to download again.

(i found out about the mounted image/disc etc, and ejecting it) so im cool wiht that.

its just after installing an ap. what should be left? just ONE thing in apps folder? that you drag to dock...........or 2 things in apps folder.......

sorry..............and thanks.

2. nigebox macrumors newbie

Aliases are the Mac equivalent of a shortcut in Windows, so deleting them should not have any effect.

When you download an application, it will often come in a .dmg format (a virtual Disc Image), usually you 'install' an app just by dragging the one file to the applications folder. Once you've put something in the applications folder, you can do what you want with the installation files (since you don't need them any more). You could store them in your documents if you wanted to hold on to them for later.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

nigebox is correct, you get a .dmg file which, upon successful download, will mount a mmacbook air style super drive icon. I attached a picture below, but colors vary from app to app. it just has that general shape. go to a finder window, find the app icon under the devices tree and drag the app icon to the app folder. I don't see where you got aliases..

to un-mount the app installer, just drag the icon to the trash which will say eject or something. once the icon is gone, you can do whateveryou want with the app, make aliases, uninstall em, etc.

Attached Files:

4. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

so dragging and dropping just COPIES the file, not move it?

5. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah thats the pic....

so once the apps gets into the apps folder...........i can totally trash everthing on desktop? right?
    as long as the thing got installed in apps folder, i double click it to open the app, and i drag it to dock.............

can i see file extensions on mac? of files.......

6. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

so for each application i install, there should be ONE corresponding file in the apps folder right?

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yes! All you do is drag the icon, whatever it may be, to the Applications Folder under Finder. There should be only one icon for each app installation.

Some apps are a bit confusing to install, but most are just drag/drop. Sometimes the installation might stick a folder (like Office 2008, iWork) into the Applications Folder.

Look at the diagram below
    Its a bit messy...

Attached Files:

8. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

And actually, in this diagram, you can just drag the app to the right. Because that picture of the Application folder is an alias to your application folder. Does that make sense?

Think of disk images as actual CDs. if you install something off of a CD, you have to mount the CD, copy the files, then eject the CD. Exact same thing here..

9. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

yea you could, most straight forward way and easiest way to understand is drag/drop to applications folder.

11. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yes taht really makes sense. i think thats how i made a mess with aliases and duplicate files etc. i was doing double processes, both ways.
    so any way just put the thing in the apps folder.....i got it.......i was double clicking hard drive and putting it into apps folder like that drag and drop....

12. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

If you take a look at the top of the Mac basics and help main page their are stickies that cover this fully