Installing apps in OS X question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by greg555, Mar 28, 2009.

1. greg555 macrumors 6502a

This is probably a silly question but after a year with a Mac I'm still not sure the best way to do this.

When I download an application I know to drag the app icon (from the dmg folder) into my Applications folder. What I'm not sure about is what to do with all the other files in the dmg (readmes, license files, documentation).

Do people just drag them all (loose) into the Applications folder and clutter it up? Create a folder for them in Applications and put the loose files there, or store them elsewhere. Part of my confusion I guess is that I'm not sure if the application ever needs to access any of them (and thus needs them to be in a certain place).

Thanks - Greg

2. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

I just drag the .app to my Applications folder and delete the DMG. All the files the app needs access to are packaged in the .app file, or if they need to be in certain locations the application will come with an installer which puts them there.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

if there is a single app the the disk image just drag that to the Applications folder if they is an installer open that to install.

its up to you what to do with the disk image with read me files etc. you can eject and and trash it or keep it.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I usually just drag the application, unless the Read Me tells me that it needs folder X for the app to run. That's fairly unusual as far as casual applications go though- it's mostly just drag and drop.

5. broncopde macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I personally have created a readmes folder in the Documents folder to put all the readmes into. I simply rename them "applicationname"readme.

6. greg555 thread starter macrumors 6502a