Installing apps on an external?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BengalDuck, May 4, 2007.

1. BengalDuck macrumors regular

hello,

i have a 500 GB mybook WD external HD that I've been using for my large amounts of music, movies, etc. It's worked fine for iTunes, iPhoto, etc. but even with all of this media on my external, my Powerbook's HD has begun to fill up. I've done all of the language and other cleaning programs to create a bit of room, but I have probably 20-30 apps that I could use without having immediately.

I'm wondering, is it possible to load up all of these on to my external without having to reinstall all of them? I would be doing the same for new programs, so if I bought CS3 could I install it on my external and just run it from there? Would I have to partition my drive, or can it remain just how it is?

I'm pretty clueless as to how this would work, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you shouldn't have a problem installing anything on the external drive. any ones that didn't come with an installer i'd just move over. might not be best to touch the iLife apps though since OS X looks for them in the Applications folder.
    i don't know about CS3 or apps like that, which have a more complicated install process, but it might be possible.