Installing Apps

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by C8XY, Jun 18, 2008.

1. C8XY macrumors 6502

Hi,

Ive downloaded a few apps from the net and they appear as a drive, i open the drive and run the programs, i get asked if i want to run it as it was downloaded from the internet, i say fine...

These apps dont appear in the app folder so i drag them there...
    They are greyed out icons and everytime i run them it asks me if im sure about it because they are from the net...

Am i doing something wrong here? I want the apps in the app folder with the proper icon and i dont want to be asked everytime if i want to open them.

How do you install on a mac? Its all new to me :confused:

Thanks!

2. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

could you provide a screenshot of the "greyed-out apps"? (command-shift-3) i'm not sure what you mean by that because it works fine for me when i drag the application from the disk image to the Applications folder

3. IMcD23 macrumors regular

IMcD23

Iowa, United States, Earth, Milky Way, . . .
    you download the app from the site, it will appear on the desktop as a drive, you open the drive up and drag the app to your applications folder. then you can add it to the dock or whatever. when you open it for the first time, it will ask you if you want to open it, it will only ask you one time. that's it, when you want to uninstall, you just drag the app to the trash.

4. C8XY thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, sorry for the delay, i had to set up a photobucket account! Below is the screen grab, the programs have stopped asking me if im sure i want to open, strangely one app has decided to use its own icon (the one with the "?") but the other two remain greyed out....

[​IMG]

Any ideas?

5. IMcD23 macrumors regular

IMcD23

in app folder right click on app and get info. under architecture make shure it matches what you have on your computer (intel [imac, macbook, mac pro, mac mini] or powerpc [powerbook, imac, powermac, mac mini]) if it says universal, then i have no idea what is wrong

6. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

I think that's just a stacks problem. Try restarting or running

"killall Dock" in terminal (without the speech marks)
    Terminal can be found in Applications/Utilities

All apps SHOULD show there own icons, like handbrake has done. That's correct.

To check / make sure it's just a stacks problem click the 'open in finder' button and see if the apps show up with their correct icons.
    Mac the ripper should be an icon of a CD with blood on it (nice!) and I don't know about tooble.

Do a restart is what I say.

7. C8XY thread starter macrumors 6502

It says PowerPC, and i have an intel, theres the problem!

Strange how the app still works though???

8. IMcD23 macrumors regular

IMcD23

i don't know about that, but try it.

9. C8XY thread starter macrumors 6502

Ive had stacks problems before (invisible stacks!) and that is solved by a restart.
    Will make sure i shut down tonight :cool:

10. chappy87 macrumors regular

There's no problem there- just launch it a few more times, and Leopard learns to "trust" it as a legit app. That's what I've found anyway.

11. Dany M macrumors 6502

Yep, it annoys me now that i think about it but w/e

12. C8XY thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks a lot guys, a restart did the trick in the end... All is fine :cool: