Installing bigger internal HD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Grimbo, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Grimbo macrumors member

How would I go about this if I didn't want to do it myself? Could I get someone at the Apple store to do it for me? (if so how much would that set me back)

Also, I'm not too good with hardware and stuff like that, would it be easy to put a new and bigger HD in myself?

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

With the aluminum macbook it's virtually a no-brainer.

Back your stuff up via Time Machine to another drive, take off the front bottom cover, unscrew the mount of the current drive, disconnect it, connect the new drive, screw it back in.

Put in your Leopard install disc and boot up holding the 'c' key, and follow the setup instructions

3. jtibbitt macrumors regular

jtibbitt

As you are running the install disc, you may also need to reformat the hard drive before the actual install. I had to do this last week when I swapped out the hard drive. The install disc has the tools you need to do that if needed. After you press 'c' during startup to cause the computer to boot from the install cd, you'll get to a part where there is a menu at the top of the screen. Up there is where you go to format the drive. You'll know you need to if the installation screen says it cannot install on that drive. Formatting is pretty simple. It takes just a few steps and I'm sure a Google search will give you step by step instructions. But the only real things you need to know are to install using the HFS journaled format and to call the new volume 'Macintosh HD'. I'm not sure if naming the volume that is necessary, but that is what Apple names them, so it may just be safer. If you tackle this yourself (it's good experience doing it too) and get stuck during the process, just make another post here from another computer someone will know for sure what to do. BTW, here is a good post with pictures of someone installing a HD on an aluminum macbook:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=664252