Installing Blu Ray Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doberman211, Feb 12, 2011.

1. doberman211, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011

doberman211 macrumors regular

Hi, this is to ask if any standard slimline blu ray drive would work in the 15" MBP. I have some found here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/side-topics/394472-slot-load-dual-layer-blu-ray-burner-bd-r-re-dvd-rw-cd-rw.html

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/3245/2512/-/18658441/Sony-BC-5640H-Slot-Loading-Slim-Blu-Ray-Combo-Drive/Product.html

And just wanted to ask some people with a little more expertise what I would actually get from doing this, and if it is at all possible. I plan to bootcamp my mac to use the bluray anyway, but would it be at all compatible with OSX or would it even recognize?

Any other options would be great. And no, I don't want an external, and I don't care what the 'benefits' would be. This is a closed minded solution and I do not want any 'suggestions' that do not involve an internal drive, as I already have a PC with a blu ray burner.

What is my reasoning? Apple advertises all this stuff on how smooth it runs 1080p when they don't even offer any real support for 1080p such as blu ray! Honestly when on the web other than YouTube will you find 1080p?

Any comment is greatly appreciated as long as it stays on topic.

2. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

Macs play 1080p Video flawlessly, as to blu-ray, blu-ray is a copyright/trademark owned by some company, its not a quality, its just a new type of DVD.

3. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Way to help :rolleyes:

This one looks better than you one you posted - http://www.blueskyave.com/servlet/the-3246/Dell-Studio-1535-1537/Detail

I dont know if it can burn though, reading the forum link you provided they said something about on a Panasonic or something being able to burn at either 2 or 4x and these BD drives are really slow apparently as far as read speeds also.

4. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

i just had to throw that out there, i have to make sure people understand that "blu-ray" is not a video quality.

5. doberman211 thread starter macrumors regular

******* PPL! I understand that bluray is not a video quality but the quality of bluray is 1080p and i want to install a bluray drive on my MBP so quit it! I wanted to know if OSX has any compatibility with bluray DISKS. Now thank you very much, i didn't know i needed to be THAT specific. It's amazing that i'm not a complete idiot isn't it?

6. KGWVU macrumors regular

KGWVU

You are very hyper!:eek:

7. doberman211 thread starter macrumors regular

8. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Good luck. All of those drives are 12.7mm thick. MacBook Pro's use either 9mm or 9.5mm drives, not sure which one it is. But this is for sure: there is no 9.5mm Blu-Ray drive in existence, unless Apple is secretely working on upgrading the SuperDrive.

9. tjb1, Feb 13, 2011

tjb1 macrumors 68000

10. macmac88 macrumors member

11. doberman211, Feb 13, 2011

doberman211 thread starter macrumors regular

not sure where to buy this one but:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/06/fastmac-debuts-blu-ray-drive-for-your-fast-or-slow-mac/

But they exist but i appreciate your input anyway. But i want to know, will the mac even recognize it or will it work purely with windows?

Any alternatives are great too. i don't want to pay 800$ for something like this.

yeah it needs to be slot loading plz.

This thread could help so many ppl and i just think its a common question everyone has, but all other threads are either dead or too old.

EDIT: Another side question, is the iMac superdrive the same one as the MBP? or is it more standard 12mm?

12. macmac88 macrumors member

I dont think that there are any players in OSX that can read protected Blu-Ray discs... =[

13. dimi94941 macrumors regular

No, there aren't any players in OS X that would play video from BluRay but I also wanted to know if OS X would recognize it, like documents and stuff on it? And could I be burning an empty BluRay disc? Those empty discs are huge and great for storage. Stupid Apple for not supporting it.

14. doberman211 thread starter macrumors regular

well i use a player that recognizes bluray already so thats not an issue i guess. but yeah burning to the disk would be awesome because imovie exports to 1080p so what's the point if it you can't burn it to anything? well Jobs isn't in charge anymore so maybe things will get a little better. (doubtful)

15. Tconroy135 macrumors newbie

You can use blu-ray as a storage medium with MACs. Honestly though I don't see the value in it.

You could also put HD movies on it, but they would have to be in an Apple format. To convert your Blu-rays to another encoding is probably possible, but I don't think there is a commercially available application to do so...

16. c1phr macrumors 6502

Idea:

Buy an external hard drive and put an opti-bay drive in place of your current disc drive. You get the portable storage, and you get to do something with that wasted media drive. (And it would likely be cheaper too)

Or, why not buy a blu-ray player for your TV? Because you do realize you can't watch 1080p content on your Macbook Pro (at 1080p) given you said you have the 15".

Also, I'm curious where Apple advertises that stuff runs smooth at 1080p?

17. doberman211 thread starter macrumors regular

um...

1. I'm not exactly sure wtf you are saying as it is not too clear, put a bluray drive in an external HDD holder? One, that would totally **** up the disks while burning as it would not be put on any flat surface, and two, external hard drives are ALL laptop drives now and that's like squishing an apple into a grape, and the whole point of doing what i am doing is to AVOID needing an extra shitbox to carry around in my small laptop bag. I don't care what it costs, i just want it to be within my savings of 700$.

2. I have a PS3 hence bluray player but i do burn bluray disks in Windows 7 on my bootcamp if you haven't read the OP. and i have the HD screen upgrade to 1050p which is very close to 1080p and it looks great.

3. I don't know exactly where, i'm not a genius, i hear it everywhere. They advertise how smoothly it runs at 1080p somewhere so stop nitpicking like every other thread i go to. NO TROLLZ ALLOWED IN MY DUNGEON!

18. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I did some more searching and im not finding any Slot-Load BD drives in the 9.5mm variety...looks like you may be out of luck unless you modify the unibody to use the Tray-Load :)

19. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That won't fit in the 15", it even says it in the article. There simply isn't a way to put a blu-ray drive in your computer and just have it work. I don't believe there are any slot-loading 9.5mm blu-ray drives. You could use bootcamp to watch them from an external blu-ray drive, but that's about the best you can do.

20. doberman211 thread starter macrumors regular

well maybe i'll just go to my dad with a bluray laser diode and he can do all the wiring since that's what he's good at. i will make it work...somehow...

21. paintblock macrumors member

1. Wat are you even saying. You can't put an external drive bay on a flat surface? Do you not own a flat surface? Is everything all slanty-ways in Canadaland?

2. HD screen upgrade to 1050p, nope, it's not 1050p since it's 16:10 instead of 16:9. The comparable 16:9 standard (usually the kind mentioned by TV's and movies followed by a p or i) is 1680 by 945 or 945p. That's about 74% of the 1980 by 1080 "1080p" resolution. You're better off going 720p than 1080. Trust me, I've got an iMac with that resolution and 1080p video just frustrates me. Works great on the 17", which is what you should have gotten if you wanted to watch 1080p video on the go with the 1920*1200 resolution and stuff a blu-ray drive in there.

3. I don't even, what is this, are you a troll?

No, just no. God, do you even think about what you're typing? Obviously not since your MBP seems to be missing a shift key. Look: I know that Macs were designed for people like you in mind, but it really breaks my heart when I go on forums like this and realize that I've scrimped, saved, and worked my ass off at minimum wage to buy myself a lowest common denominator computer for university. Now I know why everyone in my engineering dorm laughed at me as the sole Mac owner.

22. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Why in God's name did you revive this from the wasteland?

Can we have a mod lock this?

23. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

Why do you need a bluray on a MBP? You're screen can't get aNy bigger than 17 inches. Sorry to add to the drama all ready established on this thread but 1080p seems like a waste if it's not on a screen smaller than 30".

And if you're going to pull the AirPlay card, then just buy a blurry for your TV.

Anybody agree?

24. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

HD looks noticeably better than SD even on my 15" MBP. Plus the OP mentioned that he owns a PS3 and therefore probably has movies on Blu-ray media. Perhaps he wants to watch them while travelling.

25. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

That's a tray loader.

Face it, the only way you could ever watch Blu-rays on a MacBook Pro is through an external drive.

Also, there's a visible difference between 720p and 1080p on my 1050p screen.
    Screen size does not necessarily determine screen resolution.
    Higher the resolution of the video, the better it looks on a hi-res screen.
    Now stop arguing.