Installing Blu-Ray drive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Ety, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Ety macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm just got a mac pro to run a projector in my schools auditorium that just got put in. I've run all the wires and its working great but I bought a SATA BluRay/HDDVD drive that I put in using the hidden SATA connections near the fan. I didn't read into it enough and didn't know those wouldn't work in Windows. I followed a guide to enable those ports an AHCI but I didn't realize they were not for a boot camp partion so that got me nowhere. I've been trying to find a guide to enable AHCI in boot camp but haven't been able to find anything. I was wondering if anyone knows how I can do it. I'm currently only running 1 hard drive would it be possible for me to get an adapter to plug the BR drive into one of the hard drive SATA ports?

Thanks alot

2. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

I'm curious what you ever ended up doing? I'm pretty sure you could either plug the SATA blu-ray into one of the HDD bays with an adapter or just bought an external case to use. Then, Windows would recognize the blu-ray player. However, option 1 then limits you to 3 HDD's and I wouldn't be in favor of option 2.

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

for MacPro '09...

There are some restriction with the newer MacPro, I think they're less flexible when it comes to drive reconfigurations, therefore the older method many people have done, simply wouldn't work in the case of the newer MacPro. Mainly due to the fact the SATA drive connector of HD Sled 1-4 are physically attached to the LogicBoard.

For users of the new machine (MacPro '09), you would have no alternative other than find a interface card that would be compatible with both the Mac and the PC (so the drive witll be visible to both) - thus using one expantion slot.

Then there's another issue... HDCP.

Since I don't know anything about the newer graphics/video cards that Apple are using, I can't tell you will it be complient with those video standards... Also, don't forget, the display/projector will need to be HDCP compliant in order to playback comercial Blu-Ray disks. For data backup, you don't need HDCP - which is what I us mine for...

4. kirreip macrumors regular

I don't really know if the OP has the new MacPro (early 2009). But if he had, then there would no problem at all as the new MacPro comes with sata drives. I have installed myself a sata bluray writer in the new nehalem MacPro. You don't need to buy anything as the scrws and the sata cable comes preinstalled with the MacPro. Very easy installation. Takes less than 2 minutes...

The ATI Radeon HD 4870 has HDCP and watching a bluray movie works just fine in Windows. But the monitor or the projector has to be HDCP compatible. If not, you might try the new version of AnyDVD HD (trial available). It allows you to watch a bluray movie by bypassing the HDCP.

But I guess the OP has not the early 2009 MacPro because he would have used the preinstalled cable instead of the two unused ports (which are not available on the new MacPro by the way)

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I'm like you.. the OP didn't say which MMacPro he or she owns. Kinda vital information..

The OP wants to use the Blu-Ray drive in windows. I'm not sure have you've tried it but those ODD_SATA connections hidden under the fan ain't visible in windows without first installing the AHCI enabler... and by default on the older MacPro it's disabled, maybe it's different in the case of the newer MacPros

6. kirreip macrumors regular

Yes I have and as said before it works great even for watching a bluray movie.

The new MacPro 2009 does not even have those ODD_SATA connections hidden under the fan. It is not needed in this case as you can connect it to the same SATA cable as the allready installed stock superdrive is connected to (there is a one connection left on the Y-cable if you ordered your MacPro with only one superdrive)
    So by default in either OS X and Windows the drives are visible when connected to SATA cable.

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

If that's the case, then the OP doesn't even have one of the spanking new MacPro's your raving about, thus your quest is completely useless, Kirreip. :p

OP, please see this thread. More details are explained there.

8. larapumkin macrumors regular

its not supported yet

not supported yet huh?
    im sure apple is going to get the blu-rays in this year.
    if you put the blu ray drive in the mac pro, you can burn blu rays with
    toast or read files in the blu ray.
    but movie playing is the one thats not supported by apple yet.
    if you boot camp ur mac pro, u can watch the movies tho.
    apple just started to sell hd movies n dramas on itune so they are
    just chilling now.