Installing Boot Camp software on Windows 7 without OS X cd.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Rho, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Rho macrumors newbie

Hey folks.

So, after two days of trial and error, I finally installed Windows 7 via Boot Camp, without using the iMac OS X and Applications Install DVD, because, despite not having taken them out of their packaging more than once, they're both scratched and both do not work.

I have the data on the OS X cd copied on my desktop, because I managed to get it to read (and not eject) it once, but I have no idea how to copy that data to a new bootable cd, or whether or not that's even legal. But to be honest, after 2 days of manic frustration, I couldn't care less if it wasn't.

But I digress, I need to install the Boot Camp software on my Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit now, but, as I said, the cd's broken. Is there a way around it? Can I install all the necessary updates the cd installs via third party software? Or a straight-up download?

I need these updates, because of obvious reasons (the 640x840 display, for one).

I'd very much appreciate it if someone could help me out.

Thanks in advance.

2. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

If you run the Boot Camp Assistant from OS X, I believe there's an option to download the Windows Support Software, which you can download and put on a memory stick and execute when running Windows.

3. zephonic macrumors 65816

zephonic

Go to Apple's website. Most (if not all) bootcamp stuff is available for download.

4. pesos macrumors 6502a

pesos

trying to d/l from the website can be torturous - they don't make things easy to find. grannyville's suggestion is the simplest way usually.