Installing Bootcamp on 10.8 w/ Filevault 2 Enabled

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by Breadman86, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Breadman86 macrumors newbie

So my Macbook pro currently has Filevault 2.0 enabled with pre-boot authentication enabled as well, and other users turned off. Basically, whenever I turn my comp on I have to put in a super long password just to get to the second log-in screen where I log in to the actual user.

My question is this... I really want to set up Bootcamp to run Windows 7 for gaming purposes. I'm fully aware that my Windows 7 partition will NOT be encrypted, and I'm 100% great with this. It's not a problem. But can I set up Bootcamp after Filevault 2.0 has already been enabled? Or do I need to disable Filevault THEN set up Bootcamp, and then set up Filevault again?

I just don't want to screw up my system so I'm being cautious, however I REALLY would GREATLY prefer not having to disable FileVault while I set up Bootcamp. :)

2. kothrush macrumors member

kothrush

There are third party solutions to do dynamic resize of filevault (don't know how reliable they are), but if you are looking for "official" robust method recommended by Apple than you would first need to disable filevault, create bootcamp partition and re-encrypt os x partition all over again.