Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
hi folks,

A quirky title, but I didn't want to type 'on an older imac" and i couldn't figure it out.

Here's the deal - bought a refurb'd imac in 07...white 24" 2.16. love it.

i've been using it ever since, but now my pc is starting to die. i've successfully installed bootcamp on my macbook pro, but that was when it was fresh out of the box with nothing installed or any extra hd space used.

I do have plenty of space left to put XP on, but question is:

should i wipe the imac after backing it up, then installing bootcamp or run Onxy to reset permissions etc.. and then install BC?

Cheers,
Keebler

pwn247

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
West Virginia, USA
The process won't be any different. Use Bootcamp Utility to add a partition and then just install Windows.

Yep. It should be no problem. There's no need to format the drive before installing Windoze.

Simply start the Boot Camp utility and install your XP normally. Boot Camp, even on my Mac Pro with 2 HDDs, will automatically partition the drive (and quick, too). So even though you're on an old white iMac, it should be no different. Just make sure you've got enough space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.