Installing Bootcamp on Optibay-partition

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MathiasVH, Mar 3, 2012.

1. MathiasVH macrumors regular

Hi guys

I know - Same question has been asked before. But I still haven't found a solution. And believe me, I've searched.

Long story short: I've installed a SSD in my 17" 2010 MBP and thrown the original 500gb in an optibay. But I need a Windows-partition for gaming.
    Bootcamp won't let me install Windows without an optical drive - I've got an external (the original superdrive), and while Bootcamp recognizes this, it won't let me install Windows with this.

So: Have ANYONE been succesful installing a Bootcamp-partition on an optibay disk, and if so, HOW DID YOU DO IT? :D

Best regards!
    Mathias

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think there's two problems, first by losing the optical drive, you'll have problems installing windows. I've read some reports that the windows install disc won't boot up on a usb based optical drive.

Secondly is bootcamp, its going to want to put the partition in the non-optibay drive.

3. MathiasVH thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, but I already knew the problems - It's a solution I'm looking for ;)