Installing BootCamp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iVikD, Nov 14, 2011.

1. iVikD macrumors regular

iVikD

So, I finally caved and decided to make a dedicated Win7 partition using BootCamp, so I went ahead and ran the assistant. Now, it says it has to download the support drivers into another drive (in my case, DVD) and then install Windows. I click ok and I get a progress bar saying "Formatting the selected drive..."
    My network monitor says about 1.5GB has been downloaded, but the bar isn't even halfway done! Is it supposed to take this long?

2. wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

It takes a while. During that time it's not just downloading the files it's doing other things if I remember correctly

3. iVikD thread starter macrumors regular

iVikD

Ah, I see... That's an awful long time, it's been over an hour :\

4. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

The "Support Drivers" are about 700MB in size, so it may take awhile if you have a slow network. Formatting the flash drive shouldn't take long.

5. booksacool1 macrumors 6502

My Bootcamp assistant says the same. "Formatting the selected drive..." for the past hour. Initally I thought the flash drive was buggered, until I checked the Activity monitor -> network. Transferred about half a gig at 500KBs.

Seems like some poor coding on Apple's part.

6. gaming8080 macrumors newbie

The download might take a while depending on your internet connection.

It took a couple of hours for me to download the 671.3 MB file.

7. SpazzyMac macrumors regular

SpazzyMac

GPU Drivers

and it never hurts to download the newer GPU drivers, then replacing the one in the Support Drivers :)

8. idarmadi macrumors newbie

I was staring at that "Formatting the selected drive..." until I felt something not right. Stopped it. Restarted it again. Bad idea. Same looooooooong wait.

Then I bumped into this post. Ok. So Boot Camp was doing some downloading.

Why can't Apple write "Downloading something...." instead of "Formatting the selected drive...".

700+ MB software should not took 1.5 hours on a network that can download 140KB/s.

Again, thanks for this post. :D