Installing/Booting Windows 7 from FireWire HDD

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by SkyBell, Jan 17, 2009.

1. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Yeah, I know there's probably no way to do this, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Basically, I want to know if it's possible to install Windows 7 to a FireWire External HDD and it be bootable.

Any way to do this? Thanks.

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Bootcamp no longer burns a driver CD, the drivers are on the Leopard DVD.

3. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

Right, I figured installing from USB would work, based on Google searches I've done. I've also heard it's possible to install Windows to a FW based drive. But I've never heard anything about installing from USB to a FW drive. Does BootCamp even let you do that? Or do I need something else? (To clarify, I need this because my Mac mini has neither an internal HDD nor an optical drive of any kind. Long story.)

4. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

Basically guys, I need to know how to install Windows to my FW external hard drive from a USB flash drive. And then how to boot it. Because I've heard BootCamp does not let you install to an external, and that Windows won't boot from FW. Is this true?

5. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

You can install Windows from a USB flash drive because thats how I did it on my MBP and Windows 7. I would have thought you could install to any connected drive - internal or external but I'm not 100% sure Windows will boot from FW.

6. Kludge420 macrumors regular

I love how you tell the guy to do a search before asking but you have no problem answering without actually knowing the answer.

Windows 7 does not support installing to a USB or Firewire drive and will tell you so when you try to do it.