Installing Bundles software from one computer to another.

maninthemoon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
I recently purchased a new mac mini. I would like to install the iLife Suite off the install disks on to a G4 powermac running 10.4.10. When I try to install the Install Bundled Software Only package is says,

This software cannot be installed on this computer.

Any way around this?

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
I recently purchased a new mac mini. I would like to install the iLife Suite off the install disks on to a G4 powermac running 10.4.10. When I try to install the Install Bundled Software Only package is says,

This software cannot be installed on this computer.

Any way around this?
Not possible. The disks from your new Mac Mini will be Intel-only, non Universal.

And not legal either.

Sorry
SL

Comment

maninthemoon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
So if you buy an intel Mac the bundled software is Intel only and if you buy the iLife software it comes universal? That seems strange.

If I installed the software in the powerbook (if I could) and not on the mini would that be legal? I assume since it's my software I can install it on any computer it will install on as long as I only have it on one computer?

Comment

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
So if you buy an intel Mac the bundled software is Intel only and if you buy the iLife software it comes universal? That seems strange.
Strange or otherwise, AFAIK they do a special non-universal version for hardware bundling.

If I installed the software in the powerbook (if I could) and not on the mini would that be legal? I assume since it's my software I can install it on any computer it will install on as long as I only have it on one computer?
Dunno. I'm sure the answer is in the Licence Agreement! :)

SL

Comment

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Strange or otherwise, AFAIK they do a special non-universal version for hardware bundling.
I don't think that's true. I use Migration Assistant back and forth and it works fine with PPC and Intel. Try doing that. The reason the disk doesn't work, is because it's specifically made for that model computer. Legally, you aren't supposed to be installing to anything other than the computer it came with. Also maybe try Pacifist.

Or just go buy iLife legitimately.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.