Installing Classic Mode from a disc image?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Mansen, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Mansen macrumors newbie

I just got my hands on an old iMac G3 to play a bunch of games from my childhood - It came pre-installed with Tiger, but not Classic Mode.

I've got the Tiger discs (maintenance one too I think) and an old image of 9.2.2 (or was it 9.2.1?) on the harddrive.

I've tried finding a guide on Google, but it's a maze of bad information and dead links to apple. I've tried copying the system folder directly from the mounted OS9 image - but when it starts Classic it throws an error about not working because I didn't install, but copied the folder. :(

As far as I can tell, I'm supposed to boot the OS9 disc and install it on top of the Tiger partition to make Classic boot properly? I don't have a disc burner drive handy (or any blank media for that matter), so I was wondering if it would be possible to boot it from the .iso image directly, or through a USB stick?

This is such old and specific hardware that I am really lost - Windows seems so much simpler compared (ironic isn't it)

2. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

If you have the gray Tiger disks, Classic Support is on the second disk. Just put it in, and click on the "Install Mac OS 9 for Classic Support" installer. It won't ruin any of your Tiger settings, but it will allow you to run most classic games from within OS X.

3. Mansen thread starter macrumors newbie

I've got the DVD version - No "Install Classic Mode" there or anything. Not on the 4 Disc CD version I managed to find on the web either.

Is it just "Disc 2" of some release, or is it a special disc of some kind, I'm looking for?

4. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

They would be model specific. They look like this:
    [​IMG]

It would probably be the last CD, but try all of them.

Attached Files:

5. Mansen thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah. No - I'm afraid I don't have a model specific disc like that.

The guy who sold it only had a generic Retail DVD disc along with it - The 4CD's are just disc images I downloaded from the Macintoshgarden following your mention of a "disc 2".

Tried putting my image of OS9 onto a thumbdrive through Disk Utility, but that didn't pan out either. It would boot from it, but throw a "missing diskette" error a second later. :(

It's really bugging me - The OS9 drivers are installed obviously since it DOES boot up Classic Mode, but I need the RIGHT System Folder on the drive to actually boot it up properly. :/

6. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

I may be a bit confused - Are you trying to run Classic mode from within Tiger, or natively boot OS 9?

7. Mansen thread starter macrumors newbie

Classic Mode from within OSX, of course (as is in the thread title at that)

Classic Mode is "booted" up from within Tiger when you start it up - Which is what I am referring to. :)

Think I found a System Folder of 9.2.2 that will work - We'll have to wait and see while it unpacks everything slowly.

8. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

OK, sorry. :)
    Verify that the disk image is 9.2.2, and not just regular OS 9.2 or earlier. I think it has to be fully updated to boot from within OS X.