Installing Classic on G4 766 mhz with 10.4.11

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AverageGuy, Jun 18, 2010.

1. AverageGuy macrumors newbie

I am at a loss. I have been having problems with my G4 450, so I picked up a G4 766 that did not seem to have Classic installed, so I erased the drive with a 10.4.11 booted off CD and then removed the CD, popped in a 9.2 CD to try to boot from it, and all I got was a flashing question mark. Tried it with 9.1 with same result. Tried to boot it off of my GDrive with 10.4.11 installed and same thing. Went back to 10.4 and it booted off CD fine and I reinstalled 10.4 and then 10.4.11 combo upgrade. But still no Classic. I have minimal use for older software but do have a few that I would like to use. I double checked that when I erased drive, I installed OS 9 Drivers. I am confused. What am I doing wrong. Do I have to erase drive again, and if so, what are the steps? I erase the drive with a 10.4.11 disk, there is no CDR Driver so I have to manually open up the CDR Drive. I am assuming that the best way to do it would be to boot off of a 9.x CD, erase the drive and then when the installer comes up on reboot, install OS 9x and then upgrade through to 10.4.11, but like I said I cannot get OS 9x disk to boot machine!!! Help :).

2. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

3. AverageGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

It Is a 733 mhz. Sorry!

I did not get disks with this computer, although have several OS 9 disks, ranging from 9.0, 9.1, 9.2. None of them will boot machine and produce a question mark. Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You still haven't answered 666sheep's primary question. You have not even specific about which line of Macintosh you have. I presume that you have a Power Mac G4. However, Apple offered several models of 733 MHz PM G4 over the period from January 2001 (Digital Audio/Tangent, Clockwork) until August 2002 (QuickSilver 2002 {education only}).

You cannot boot a Mac from an OS that is older than the computer. This means that no 733 MHz PM G4 can be booted from an OS older than MacOS 9.1 or MacOS X 10.0.3. You cannot boot a Mac from a System Restore disc for a different model Mac. This means that your MacOS 9.0 disc is out. Your MacOS 9.1 disc is probably out. There is also a good chance that your MacOS 9.2 disc is also out. Without knowing which specific model Mac you have, however, we left to guess which version of MacOS 9 will boot your computer.