Installing Classic over later version of Tiger

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Blue Velvet, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I've got an app that needs to run in Classic on a dual 2.0 G5. Bless its little cotton socks. :mad:

Classic won't seem to install from Disk 2 of the original install disks, possibly because the G5 has a version of Tiger installed on it later than the install disks. It says it can't open some files.

Apart from doing an archive and install, is there any way I can get Classic to work on this machine asap?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I didn't think classic could run on G5's full stop? Even some G4 hardware it wouldn't run on.

Page 75

3. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

No, it won't run on Intels. I'm talking about Classic, the emulation, not booting in OS9. ;)

4. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Heh. Thanks for that. I got to that point... and started installing it but it won't install because it can't open a certain file it's looking for, possibly because the version of Tiger that is on the machine is from a retail copy and is 10.4.10.

The install disks that came with that G5 -- from which I'm trying to install Classic -- came with 10.4.3

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Does the installer say which file it's looking for but can't find?

You should be able to install OS9 with any version of OSX (except Intel of course).

Do you have another PPC Mac? OS9 can be drag-copied (generally).

6. Queso macrumors G4

Exactly. Copy the "System Folder" from one Mac with it already installed. I can bring the PowerBook over if you don't have it installed anywhere and can hold out until Wednesday evening.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Or burn it onto a CD. A zip archive might even be FTP-able.

8. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

I don't have any installs of OS9 on any of the other Macs... it's for a scanning utility; only one Mac is connected to the scanner.

I thought of that and reblessing the folder. <old-skool> :D

dynamicv, I'll PM or email you later tonight. :)

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

We were suggesting trying to install it on another Mac, which if it succeeded, could be drag-copied onto the Mac where you really want it.

10. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

I'll try that tomorrow. Got some deadlines this afternoon... thanks for all help. :)