Installing Correctly Additional Ram On Macpro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cckid, Jun 7, 2007.

1. cckid macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

In order to solve the serious hiccups of my new macpro 2,66 I've also double checked the RAM. I just would like to make sure that it is correctly placed onto the risers. Currently I have 2X512mb (the original apple) and 2x1gb ram...They are placed in the following order

2x512 mb on dimm 1 & dimm 2 in riser A (the top one)
    2x1gb mb on dimm 1 & dimm 2 in riser B (the bottom one)

Is this ok?

The reseller has forgotten to ship me all RAM that I've ordered, so an additional pair 2x512mb is on its way...when it gets I plan to install it on

2x512mb on dimm3 and dimm4 in riser A

Would that be correct...

I was applying the following logistic: a pair in the top two slots of the top riser A (2X512mb), then in the top two slots of the bottom riser – B (2x1gb); then again 2x512mb on riser A….

I see also another option for the additional RAM (2x512mb) when it arrives. Just to summarize...I will then have a total of 4gb ram that will be consisted of (4x512mb, 2x1gb....The other option would be – in steps:

1. a pair (2x512mb) in the top two slots (dimm 1 and dimm 2) of the top riser A…
    2. a pair (2x512mb) in the top two slots (dimm 1 and dimm 2) of the bottom riser b…
    3. a pair (2x1gb) in the dimm 3 and dimm 4 of the top riser A.

Same logistics...but a new following...first placing all 512mb and then all 1gb RAM.

Would that be a better option…and how would rearranging the existing already existing and installed RAM could affect my macpro functionality and macosx.

Thanks again for the input

Best regards

cckid

2. fairnymph macrumors 6502

fairnymph

Based on what the manual/graphic on the inside cover of the MP instructs, I would install in this manner:

2 X 1GB in DIMMS 1 and 2 on Riser A
    2 X 512MB in DIMMS 3 and 4 on Riser A

2 X 512MB in DIMMS 1 and 2 on Riser B

From what I've read it's best to have the fast RAM sticks in DIMMS 1 and 2 on Riser A.

3. spaz8 macrumors 6502

I'm planning to install 2 x2gb sticks in Riser A slot 1&2, 2x2gb sticks in Riser B slots 1&2, and move the OEM apple 2x512 sticks to Riser A slots 3&4. I believe this is how I get quad channel speed.

Any corrections or advice welcome!