Installing CS5 on the Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by armistice, Jul 18, 2012.

1. armistice macrumors newbie

this is probably a seriously dumb question- I apologize.

I have Adobe Design Premium CS5. Obviously the retina doesn't have a CD drive, so now I'm at a loss as to how to get the software on my retina- I don't want to buy a superdrive for this ONE thing- it seems like there has to be a way of getting it on here without it.

A friend told me I could use my old MBP's disc drive somehow, but my 2008 MBP's disc drive has been dead for like 2 years. I contacted Adobe support and they won't offer me a download, even though I have my serial number.

I just tried putting it on my external hard drive (just a simple copy/paste of Photoshop alone to test) but when I try to open up Photoshop I get an "Error: 6" message before I can do anything.

This is a totally legal purchase- I have my serial number and everything...I just can't figure out how to get CS5 on the retina, because all of the trial downloads on Adobe's site are for CS6. Another friend suggested I download a torrent or whatever, but I want to stay as legal/safe as possible.

Surely someone else has run into this problem, right? Any ways of getting the software on the new computer without springing for a drive? I could always buy the drive, use it, and then return it, but I'd really like to get this software on here tonight...I'd much rather work on homework on my speedy new retina than my old mbp!!

sorry for the ramble!

tl;dr: how can i put my (legal) copy of adobe cs5 software on my retina WITHOUT using a superdrive. Are there downloads? Will an external hard drive work?:confused:

2. armistice thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for the quick reply!!

Believe it or not, I did google the issue a number of times, but just kept coming across downloads to upgrade FROM CS5 :rolleyes:

3. magruder macrumors newbie

do you happen to have another mac computer that you can use Remote Disc with? Even a friends will work. Or better yet I've heard that apple stores will allow you to use Remote Disc at the stores.

4. clumeng macrumors member

If you have 2 macs on the same network running Lion (or snow leopard I think) you just use the "remote disk" feature in the finder. Click on it on the rMBP and request access to the mac with the DVD drive, it will appear in the finder, and then you can transfer the files over the network. There is also a way to do this PC to mac but you have to download some software on the PC side - it has worked for me.

$30 from newegg buys you a USB CD/DVD drive (probably even cheaper elsewhere) if this will be a frequent problem or find a buddy or IT support desk that'll loan you one for an afternoon. I'm surprised the wouldn't give download access.

5. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

You can just download the trial version at adobe.com and then enter your key.

6. unibility macrumors 6502

actually CS5 Premium for MAC content is essentially on one disc. what i did is if you do have another mac. put the disc into that mac, plug in your external hard drive and copy it's content on the DVD to the external hard drive. then simply plug in the external to the retina macbook pro and click the install. it worked for me.