Installing DataDoubler in my MBP - My thoughts and experience.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Polska, May 7, 2011.

1. Polska macrumors member

Hey all,

Since I always got lots of help from the forum, I decided to share my experience of removing my DVD-ROM and installing the OWC Data Doubler with a 120GB SSD.

I followed the procedure explained here:
    http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/mac_pro_ssd_and_hard_drive_combo/

Together with it, I downloaded the video from OWC itself showing how to open the laptop and replace it. It's very detailed step-by-step with no surprises. The kit comes with the bracket that replaces the DVD-ROM and fix the SSD and also all the set of tools you will need, including the screws. I had the problem that the screw that was supposed to fix the bracket on the board was not screwing correctly but I fixed it with a tiny bit of glue and it was ok for me (I don't recommend, though). I did that because I am currently living in China and would take ages to get new screws from OWC.

I transfered the Applications folder and the system to the SSD, leaving the user account in the current HDD. It's a brand new world. Before my boot would take 5 minutes and 36 seconds to boot. Now takes 48 seconds.

I had only one problem, with iTunes. It kept saying that I did not have enough privileges to run it. I tried everything possible. Took me 10 days to fix it and I "think" it was because I installed the TRIM application for the SSD but I am not sure. What I know is that it's working now.

If I can be of any help, please let me know.

Cheers,
    Erick Pessôa

2. uplusd macrumors 6502

Cool review. I run the data doubler / SSD combo as well and it has really given my MBP a renewed life.

3. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

Thanks for the comments. It is a strangely appealing solution, since now I mainly use my DVD drive to watch movies or make copies of stuff for friends. But I wonder whether there are any operations, such as installing a new OS, that wouldn't work with an external DVD drive?:confused:

4. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

how in the world would your computer take 5 MINUTES! to boot... certainly you are being a bit sarcastic, right?

5. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Just make an install flash drive.

6. Polska thread starter macrumors member

One of the facts that encouraged me to do that was the fact that I purchased a external DB driver to rip my Criterion Blu-Ray collection. And yes, it can be booted through external DVD-ROM and besides that, the gossip around says that we will be able to purchase Lion through the Mac App Store so no need for DVDs anymore. :)

7. Polska thread starter macrumors member

No, not at all. I measured that time on the clock. I didn't format my hard disk for more than 8 years. I just either upgrade the OS or transfer data from MBP to MBP. With that in mind, you can imagine the amount of junk that has running on startup. On the top of my head I can think of Caffeine, MenuStats, Dropbox, SugarSync, Adobe Updater, MS Updater, Evernote, Launchbar and so on.

I "think" I will take the courage and format the SSD when Lion comes out. The problem is that I tweaked and customized so much my environment that for sure it will be a very frustrating experience. :)

8. spectre51 macrumors 6502

spectre51

I didn't see you mention it but what model MBP do you have. I like the idea of this mod especially with the relatively small size of the affordable SSDs. Would be nice to have a second big drive in the laptop to compliment my 128gb SSD.

9. OptyCT macrumors 6502

I, too, have a Data Doubler installed in my MBP (mid-2009). I cannot recommend this upgrade enough. I purchased the OWC Data Doubler with their 60GB SSD. This $200 upgrade will extend the life of my MBP for several years. Booting takes around 18 seconds and all applications launch on one to one-and-a-half bounces of the icon on the dock. Very snappy!

10. Polska thread starter macrumors member

Mine is also the MBP 15" Mid-2009. I already had added a 1TB Scorpio WD hard disk and 8GB of RAM. I don't regret it at all.

Cheers,
    Erick