Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smogsy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
this is my first mac on leopard i have macbook 2.2 got it today its great but not sure how to install dmgs

im trying to install mac messager i tried one already and it mounted it as a drive

could someone tell me step by steps instructions :)

2 hours so far on my mac :)

i got 2.2ghz macbook white
Mini DVI cable
Printer
apple care

for £856

should of been

£1200 :D

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
this is my first mac on leopard i have macbook 2.2 got it today its great but not sure how to install dmgs

im trying to install mac messager i tried one already and it mounted it as a drive

could someone tell me step by steps instructions :)

1. Double click on the Disk Image (.dmg). It will open just like a physical drive.

2. Drag the application to the Applications folder.

3. Drag the .dmg and the drive icon it opened to the trash.

That's it. Best wishes.

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
dmg = Disk IMage

Open (double-click) the .dmg file. This will 'mount' the disk image. It will look like another file has appeared on your desktop, but it's not. Think of it as a 'virtual disk'.

Open (double-click) the disk image. Inside, you will either find the application itself, or an installer. If it's the application itself, then drag it to your Applications folder. If it's an installer, then run (double-click) it and follow the instructions.

You can then "eject" the disk image (notice how the trashcan turns into an eject symbol when you drag it there), and either delete the .dmg file or archive it somewhere in case you think you'll need it again.

EDIT: if you want the item to appear on your dock, drag it from your applications folder to the dock. Else, just launch the application from the applications folder, and it will appear in the dock then (and you can keep it in the dock by CTRL-clicking and selecting 'keep in dock').

SL

smogsy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
got it thanks :D im just burning my music to dvd on my vista pc for mac :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.