Installing downloaded s/w on MBA by external flash drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Scylax, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Scylax macrumors regular

Edit: Thanks for the answers; please just clarify-do I have to download a fresh copy of the software and drag the icon to the external drive rather than my applications folder?

I just bought a new MBA, and I want to install 2 downloaded pieces of software: iGTD (free) and Scrivener (paid but free trial). I use mobile broadband but the dongle won't fit in the USB port of the MBA, and I don't need internet access on it for anything else at the moment, so I don't want to have to buy any extra equipment.

Is there any way I can save these two pieces of software to a USB flashdrive or external hard drive and install them on the MBA from there? If so, how do I do it? And if I can install the free trial of Scrivener on my MBA, then buy the license from a different computer, can I then use that license code to get the full software on my MBA without internet access?

I know there are lots of questions there, but please help me!

2. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

just download them on another machine, drag them to your usb key, then plug it into your mba and copy them to your hdd and install them.

i'd look into something like this for the future.

as far as the license, if it's a file you can move it the same way, if it's a key you just enter it in.

3. Scylax thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! Just to clarify...

So I download a fresh copy of the software and drag it to my flash drive rather than my applications folder?

Or can I drag a copy of the s/w already installed to the flash drive?

Sorry, but I've never done anything like this before!