Installing DP2 (or DP3) over 10.8

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Julien, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I have 10.9 (DP2) installed on an extra iMac and was thinking about installing (at some point) on my main Mac. I noticed this statement in my Apple email that has me concerned about instilling a future release. "You will need to have build 13A476u (DP1) installed in order to see the Mac App Store Software Update...".

Will I still be able to install DP2 (or DP3) on my Mac over ML or have I missed the boat? Or can I still (now and in the future) install DP1 and then install DP2 (or DP3)?

2. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

You can still install DP1 currently, and update to DP2. Im not sure about the future though, if DP1 expires or not.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Just download DP1 from the App Store and then upgrade to DP2.

4. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

AFAIK DP2 only "shipped" as an app store update. Which was 1.4 gb in size.

Looking in my developer centre page, there is only a redemption code for the original DP release.

So i guess if you have access to that, install DP1 and then upgrade via the app store update.

Maybe it will auto install DP2 from the app store instead of DP1 now?

Either way - make sure you have backups!

5. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

I'm going ahead and take the plunge. I guess I have nothing to lose (except) time. I don't want to find out next week (or so) that I missed the boat.

Have TM but making CCC too. Never can be to cautious.

6. tywebb13 macrumors 68000

Actually the full installer for DP2 is now on the mac dev center. However I can't download it because my code can't be redeemed more than once.

I got the DP2 update from the mas, just like most people - but I actually want the full installer too so that I can make a bootable usb for DP2.

Will I have to set up multiple developer accounts to get more redemption codes? I want to avoid getting it from torrents if possible. Apple should give developers more codes for the DPs!

7. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

I have used my code too. Can I still use the same code to install (DP1) on my Mac Pro or can you only install on 1 Mac? I thought I read about installing on more than 1 Mac but I don't see that in the Apple 10.9 emails.

Still waiting on my redundant CCC backup.

8. tywebb13 macrumors 68000

You can only redeem a code once.

This is one of the main reasons for making a bootable usb. If you want to install a system on more than 1 mac, you only download once and then use the usb on all your macs to upgrade (although you should leave at least 1 mac not upgraded if we are talking about a developer preview - even apple say that too.)

9. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

It of course didn't accept my code (already been used) but it had a [Request Another Redemption Code] button. I clicked and it says check back in 24 hours. Does anyone have experience requesting another code?

10. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

11. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

F y i

A bit off topic but, basically, I have my SSD partioned in to 3. The major part is for OS 10.8.4 [.5 now ] and then about 50 GB for 10.9 and 100 GB for Windows 7.

I wouldn't over ride 10.8.4/5 at this point with 10.9 for my daily usage, even though Mavericks is pretty darn stable and faster over ML.

If you haven't already installed 10.9 on your daily driver, I would strongly recommend installing it on a partition [ dual boot ] or on an ext drive [ flash, thunderbolt, etc... ]

Just my .02 :)

12. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

Would you do it clean or just clone the existing to the partition and then upgrade it?

13. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

A clean install. The logical partition would not have any OS, but be bootable by either setting the target disk to that partition on start up or holding down the 'option/alt' key up on start-up [ before or just when you hear the Apple Chime ]

14. Meyvn macrumors 6502

As an aside, can anyone explain to me what Apple might be thinking in making it harder on purpose to create bootable installers?

15. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

Can you tell me how to get a another redemption code?

16. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

I went to the AppleSeed downloads page where my original code is and tried to use it (I think) and a [Request a New Code] button appeared. I just hit it and it said to check back in 24 hours and it took right at 24 hours and I had a new code listed.

17. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

Lucky. No appleseed here.