Installing drivers that aren't from apple?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by GhostIZmyNAME, Sep 11, 2012.

1. GhostIZmyNAME macrumors newbie

Yo, I heard it was not okay for me to install drivers on my Bootcamp'd Windows 7 Pro that aren't from apple, like from AMD. Graphics drivers or something like that. I'd already updated my Bootcamp drivers by downloading them from apple, burning them onto a disc, then putting the disc in my computer on bootcamp windows 7 to install them and every time I try to play a game on computer I keep getting that message that I need to update my drivers. (Graphics drivers, I think.) Is it okay for me to do this?

2. GhostIZmyNAME thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Mac's are the same as any other computer, you can install any driver you want as long as your hardware supports it.

Although in my experience Apple sometimes uses different hardware ID's for their graphics chips. Because of this sometimes you will have to edit the driver install INF in a text editor.

Try installing the driver, if it lists your hardware then it should "just work". Although make sure to test the backlight keys afterwards (sometimes updated drivers will break those).

P.S. Make sure to get your driver from a trusted source like AMD, Nvidia, LaptopVideo2Go or Windows Update.

4. agnes james macrumors newbie

I have also purchased a Mac Laptop & want myself to update drivers so finding the right source.
    May be Here I can get all drivers for mac. But not sure Is it trusted source or not.