Installing earlier OS on external HD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by theBounder, Mar 13, 2010.

1. theBounder macrumors newbie

Hello ,

I know that you cannot install an OS on an iMac earlier than the one it came preloaded with.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get round this by installing the earlier OS on an external HD and then use that to boot up?

To be more specific would it be possible to install Mac OS 10.2 on an external HD and then use that to boot into a powerPC G5 that came pre-loaded with Tiger.

I know it's a strange request but I've just got a thing for the pinstripes.

Thanks for your help.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It might be a little bit hard to do if you use the PowerMac G5 that came with Tiger.

The external HDD does not really play a role in this, as it is just another volume to put the OS on.

But maybe you can find something via MRoogle, as that might not be the first time someone asked that question.

3. theBounder thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

I've had a good search through MRoogle and it does appear that it's not possible to install Mac OS Jaguar on a Tiger pre-loaded iMac.

As they are both PowerPC OS do you think it would it be possible to switch the extras/extras2 .rsrc's from Jaguar to Tiger to get the UI appearance of OS Jaguar whilst still running Tiger ?

Cheers

Ivan.