Installing EFI windows 10 on 2012 rMBP 15" - is it possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by omvs, Mar 29, 2015.

1. omvs macrumors 6502

So this weekend I decided I wanted to see if I could get my external GPU setup running on my rMBP (15", 2012). From what I read, Windows 7 (what I own now) doesn't support EFI well, and I didn't want to shell out $ yet if this wouldn't work, so I downloaded the Windows 10 preview on the assumption that if windows 8{,.1} worked, windows 10 should

I'm able to get it installed using the normal bootcamp method, but if I try installing in EFI mode it blue-screen's on bootup.

From what I've seen on the web, it sounds like most procedures involve booting the windows install in EFI mode, partitioning the disk, and installing. Here's one page I found:
    http://blog.thedeltaflyer.com/2013/01/dual-booting-windows-8-and-mountain-lion-natively-using-efi/

Anyone know if this technique doesn't work for Windows 10? I'm not sure what else I could be messing up...

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The logic boards in Ivy Bridge and earlier (early-2013 and earlier) don't support the UEFI 2.0 standard, so it won't work. You will get a lot of driver issues. It's because of the EFI chip in the logic board.

Only Haswell and later Macs support the UEFI 2.0 standard.