Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buttongerald

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 29, 2016
St. John's, Newfoundland
Greetings all,

I have downloaded and flashed a copy of Elementary OS to a USB drive, and wish to install it on my iMac. When I hold down the Option key upon startup, I can access the USB drive and try a live version of the OS in question, but I am wondering what I need to do to install it on my hard drive?

What I mean is, do I need to do any tinkering around or can I just partition the hard drive in macOS and then simply install the new OS to the partition or do I need a specific program or things in place to install the OS. I want to run it with on its, and not in a virtual machine.

If anyone has experience doing this and can offer some insight that'd be great.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Hello,

You should partition the drive in OS X first using DiskUtility.

Then boot to the USB ISO of ElementaryOS and install it to that partition. It should be able to format it from within the installer.

That's how I've done it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
From what I googled, its a Ubuntu variant, so perhaps checking the ubuntu knowledge base articles may be helpful

buttongerald

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 29, 2016
St. John's, Newfoundland
I partitioned the drive within OS X and tried installing Elementary. The install said it was a success but when I tried booting in I got an error indicating a missing operating system. It now says that my Hard Drive in OS X is 848GB, which is right due to the other partition, but now I cannot see the other partition nor will OS X give allow me to repair it.

I tried repairing the drive in OS X and using the Utility mode.

Fancuku

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2015
PA, USA
If you are running El Capitan or Sierra you have to turn SIP (system integrity protection) off to be able to boot other OSes.

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
Greetings all,

I have downloaded and flashed a copy of Elementary OS to a USB drive, and wish to install it on my iMac. When I hold down the Option key upon startup, I can access the USB drive and try a live version of the OS in question, but I am wondering what I need to do to install it on my hard drive?

What I mean is, do I need to do any tinkering around or can I just partition the hard drive in macOS and then simply install the new OS to the partition or do I need a specific program or things in place to install the OS. I want to run it with on its, and not in a virtual machine.

If anyone has experience doing this and can offer some insight that'd be great.
Are you just using Linux for fun or do you want to use it place of OS X, perhaps as a way to prepare to leave the Mac ecosystem?

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
if you've never installed it before I would seriously recommend to install it in a virtual machine first.

Ultimately there is nothing unique or special about it for Elementary OS, I like it and have it installed on a Chromebook. No way I would install it on the hard drive of my Mac, there would be no significant speed gain to that anyway when running a modern intel CPU.

buttongerald

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 29, 2016
St. John's, Newfoundland
Are you just using Linux for fun or do you want to use it place of OS X, perhaps as a way to prepare to leave the Mac ecosystem?
A little bit from column A and a little bit from column B.
I am also curious as to how your experiment with Elementary OS has gone. Ever get it to boot, and if so how is it working out for you?
I got it to boot after some minor messing around, it took a few tries but it worked. As for how it went? It was insanely basic. At first I enjoyed it, having the bare basics of software that ran fairly quickly with an OS that did the same, but over the course of a few weeks I longed to have slightly more functionality so I came back to macOS.
Ultimately there is nothing unique or special about it for Elementary OS, I like it and have it installed on a Chromebook. No way I would install it on the hard drive of my Mac, there would be no significant speed gain to that anyway when running a modern intel CPU.
Pretty much what I found. Very fast, but I only noticed it to be a little faster than macOS. It had a novelty to it, kind of like OS X/macOS does when you use it for the VERY first time on a brand new Mac.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.