installing external HD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by racoonka, Apr 7, 2008.

1. racoonka macrumors newbie

I'm trying to install a Seagate ext. HD. When it gets to drive manager.pkg, the Installer doesn't open it. It looks like it's going to, but nothing happens. Can anyone help?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

why are you installing an external HD? you should be able to just plug it into your Mac and it will work. what connector are you using?

3. racoonka thread starter macrumors newbie

It's connected by usb to the imac and by cable to the wall. In the manual it says what should happen when I connect it but it doesn't. 'Drive manager.dmg' comes up, click on that-'drive manager.pkg' and that's how far I get.

4. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

You shouldn't have to do that. Plug the hard drive in. Then launch Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities). You should be able to select that drive, then erase it, formatting it in the process.

That's all it should take.

5. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

No need for drive manager install ..

Open Disk Utility click on the new drive and format for Mac, then it should pop up to the desktop..

6. racoonka thread starter macrumors newbie

no luck

The situation is same as when I tried downloading dvix player. I get to the divXInstaller.dmg, dblclick on it- in the dock it looks like it's gonna open, but then nothing happens. It's the same here with the ext. HD. Is there a setting I should change somewhere?

7. racoonka thread starter macrumors newbie

installer

So I suppose the problem? is the Installer? If I go into Application-Untilities-Installer should open when I click on it. It doesn't.

8. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

reread the post above your last one. There is no mention of opening installer. Go to utilities disk utility, do you see your external hard drive?

9. racoonka thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I see it there. But shouldn't I be able to open the files I mentioned before?

10. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Probably, but you don't need to. In Disk Utility, click on the hard drive, then the erase tab. Format as you need it, then erase the drive. When it's done, you'll be able to use the drive normally. There is no installation needed for a hard drive with Macs.

11. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660