Installing FCPStudio2 and it feels like xmas!!!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by coocooforcocoap, Nov 2, 2007.

1. coocooforcocoap macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

:)omg i am so excited. i got a new mbp last month and now today got fcp2. its installing right now, it feels like xmas. BUT i have some questions - even before i see it live - but i am upgrading from fcp 5 so not really a newbee - here they are:

CAN I DUMP AE AND PREMIERE NOW? oh pretty please pretty please. I have never used motion nor livetype but i am hoping i can just put the adobe trash in the trash. let me explain. i am a decade veteran of PPRO2 and all previous incarnations. I am so sick of that program I could puke, but what to do? I know I know get a mac and fcp. Well, done that. But now what about AE, another love/hate relationship. I noticed during the install right now it's putting Boris stuff in there. Yea! I love boris. I just hate it when it's in AE.

Okay, that's one question. Can we go further and get rid of Audition too? Never tried SoundtrackPro, but man it's gotta be better then Adobe's bloated version of freeware once known as Cool Edit. We have a protools LE machine one floor down anyway, but I was using Audition to do quick edits and save walking up and down so many stairs. So can I can I?

And hey, whoa wait a minute Gonzo, can I also get rid of Encore?!? I already had DVD Studio 4 installed but it looks like it's getting an upgrade too. Never used it, but how hard can it be?

Now for the kicker. The day after Xmas when the wrapping paper is all cleaned up and the lights are low. How the heck am I going to get my video projects into FCP - they ALL come from an XP box using PPRO2 there. Hell, I could not even go from that to Mac PPRO CS3 - adobe would not let me. SO, what is the best conversion path from PPRO2 PC to FCP2? I will do anything, even drink muddy water to get my work for november rolled into this new shiny mac with final cut pro 2 studio.

BTW, all my projects are short music videos done in SD, and I just need to get a few into FCP and revise for production. Oohlala!

Thanks. ps.Does FCP2 have appleupdater inside. Wondering if I should go get the updates while i wait, this install is taking FOREVER!

2. Sojourn macrumors member

I'm glad to see you're so excited for FCS2! It's definitely an awesome suite of programs to use. :)

I'm not sure about importing your projects from Premiere to FCP, nor about the specifics of switching from Encore to DVD Studio Pro (where did you hear that it was getting an upgrade, by the way?). However, I just wanted to make a quick point about Motion vs. AE. In a nutshell, I view them as programs for different purposes. Premiere is a nonlinear video editor, as is FCP. Encore is a DVD maker, as is DVD Studio Pro. After Effects is a 2D compositor and special effects powerhouse, while Motion is a motion graphics program with some compositing capabilities. I think it would be more appropriate to compare AE and Shake, for example.

In the end, it all comes down to your needs. If you're doing a lot of motion graphics work, I'm guessing that Motion will be great for you (especially due to its integration with FCP) - though you'll have to deal with the program transition. If you're doing heavy-duty compositing, rotoscoping, and other visual effects work, I think AE would serve your purposes much better.

To be fair, I haven't really used Motion very much, and I have more experience with AE -- but one of the reasons I haven't delved too deeply into Motion yet (though I'm looking forward to doing so in the hopefully-near future) is because (my understanding of) Motion's capabilities don't match what I need for my visual effects work, while AE does.

Hope this helps!

Take care,
    Sojourn