Installing FCS2

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mikeyPotg, Feb 20, 2008.

1. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

So I decided to buy FCS 2 and get rid of the buggy fcp I have. I actually installed it all via time machine, which was setup with my old iMac. I think this is where a lot of the issues are stemming from...
    FCS2 should be arriving today and I just want to make sure I install it all correctly. Here's what I plan to do:

1. Format Main HD (I don't plan on formatting my 2nd HD, which I will use as my scratch disk. Will that be okay?)
    2. Fresh install Leopard
    3. Run updates
    4. Restart
    5. Repair disk permissions
    6. Install iLife 08
    7. Run updates
    8. Restart
    9. Repair disk permissions
    10. Install FCS2
    11. Run updates
    12. Restart
    13. Repair disk permissions
    14. Bring back all my old programs, music, pictures, and relax?

Once I start FCP, I'll set the scratch drive to my 2nd HD and have it setup in 1080p mode to work with my HV20.
    Am I missing anything important?

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Sounds fine. No need to repair disk permissions so much though, just do once you have everything installed that you want. Make it number 15 on your current list.

Formatting your scratch disk might be a good idea though.

3. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

For my education, could someone please explain what "repair disk permissions" is all about? Never heard about that before.

Thanks in advance,

Martin

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

It restores the permissions to certain files that may have been changed by certain processes and not restored.

Use Disk Utility to do it. It is generally considered a good maintenence procedure to do on a Mac.

5. -DH macrumors 65816

I'd recommend your current list' repairing permissions after each install and update. It only takes a few seconds and can head off a lot of potential problems.

I DO agree with Cromulent in making sure your second drive is formatted as Mac OS Extended.

-DH

6. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

Thanks, Crolument. So this is something I should run every now and then, or are there symptoms of problems I should wait for before doing this?

- Martin

7. -DH macrumors 65816

I repair permissions every morning after start up ... just as a metter of routine. Probably overkill, but it doesn't hurt anything to do it.

-DH