Installing Final Cut Express HD on External Firewire Drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JHacker, Jun 25, 2007.

1. JHacker macrumors 6502

JHacker

I went to install Final Cut Express on my MBP and saw it requires about 14 gigs of hard drive space, and I'm down to about 20 right now. I tried selecting my external as a source, but it wouldn't work.

I have an OWC Mercury AL dual enclosure with 2 320 gig hard drives in it - running through Firewire 400. It's set up as Mac OS X Journaled. Is it possible to run the program from the drive without having to reformat it in a certain way? And if I had to reformat, what would I have to do to get it to work?

Thanks!

2. heySparky macrumors regular

heySparky

I think you'd be better off moving stuff off the internal HD to the external to make room for the Final Cut install on the internal. For some reason, I think it is better to have the apps on the same HD as the system folder.

3. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

its perfectly ok to move the apps on to the external drive. Though in your app folder only 1.2gb is the suite. Then there are media files, those are the space eaters. I cant remember off the top of my head where those are, but they can also be moved off.

4. JHacker thread starter macrumors 6502

JHacker

So it won't let me install onto the external drive, but I can move the Application onto it after I install and run it from there? It's a dual enclosure, so I can have the program on one drive and my files on the other.

This would work though? Will it be as fast as on my boot drive? My external drives are Seagate 320gb 7200 drives and my internal is the 80gb 5400. I'm connected by Firewire 400.

5. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

The app itself is not very large, so if you install the App on your main drive, but install all of the extras and add ons on your external drive you should be fine.

6. JHacker thread starter macrumors 6502

JHacker

Genius! Will the program on my drive know where to find the extras if I move them to another location? Also - what's actually taking up most of the 14 gigs then?