Installing Firmware Rev 009 on Crucial M4 SSD for Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by carl0sian, Jan 11, 2012.

1. carl0sian macrumors regular

My SSD is running great but I ran into some articles on the internet stating that upgrading the firm on the M4 SDD will make it run even better. I went to the crucial website, downloaded their instructions on how to update this firmware but got lost during the whole process. I'm used to entering the bios screen and playing around with it on a PC but I've never done this on a Mac. I'm kinda scared I'll mess it up. Has anyone upgraded their firmware to this revision? If so, how? I'm using a 2011 Late Edition 17" MBP running OSX lion.

Thanks!

2. onions macrumors member

you might as well wait until they release an updated firmware to address the 5000hr bug.

3. carl0sian thread starter macrumors regular

what is that?

4. Jake99 macrumors member

Hi, have you checked what firmware version is already on the SSD? I just bought a Crucial M4 SSD, checked the label on the drive and it was already version 9.

If you want to update the firmware on the Mac, its actually a bit easier than doing it on a PC.

Here is a forum post from the Crucial site on how to do it:

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-S...M4-SSD-firmware-for-Mac-Os-X-users/td-p/59000

I am really enjoying having this SSD, I got the 512 MB size - its a fantastic improvement over the standard HD.

5. carl0sian thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't able to see any firmware version on any of the boxes or labels. Is there a way to check the firmware version through OSx?

6. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject