installing flash...newb to macs here

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by crom8i3, Dec 19, 2008.

1. crom8i3 macrumors newbie

hey...i just got my new 2.4 macbook. went from 25 years of pc to mac and i'm not looking back. i love this, but some sites require flash so i take the links to download adobe flash 10 and the download screen comes up and then the install screens pop up. i go thru the installation and when the installation is complete i go back and try to open the same website and it says i don't have flash installed?!? did i forget to do something else to install flash? i'm only 3 days into mac OS X so i'm very very inexperienced with these wonderful computers. thanks guys...

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Have you tried quitting your internet browser then reopening it? Or restarting your computer?

3. kolax macrumors G3

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Really?:confused:

5. kolax macrumors G3

I've never had to install it - I reinstall Leopard and right away I can use YouTube. Unless I'm installing Flash after a reinstall of OS X subconsciously :eek:

6. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

is all your computer's software up to date? have you updated it with software updater?

7. crom8i3 thread starter macrumors newbie

yea i just checked for updates and said everything is up to date. you tube works but a couple sites here and there say they require flash and that it's not installed on my computer. a buddy said to try firefox so i downloaded that and it says the same thing. i don't know. kind of annoying. but as far as downloading it i just go thru the installer and thats it right? i know some programs it says to drag into applications but that didn't work either. ugh.

8. keeponmac macrumors newbie

All good in the same boat.

Purchased an older Mac book Pro. Far more reliable and trust worthy then my Dell PC and truthfully has brought me to a new appreciation for computers. Some things bother me though or yet have to be deciphered. For example, what is a good torrent site to use, i have tried veuz ( asurez ) and it seemed to fail me, for the fact that it would not play the downloaded movie. A test piece for further downloads ( SKI VIDS and music ). I was told to download a viewer and can not remember which one? I would like to have better direction with the mac computer so I can have better results, for instance I put a buddies mountain bike video in the disk drive hoping to copy it to I-Tunes, DID NOT WORK! What are some of the simple know hows to become more illiterate with the mac?

Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

9. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Ultimate Thread Hi-Jack...

And as far as that Mountain bike vid goes, you can't just copy it directly to iTunes, chances are it's in a format iTunes doesn't support (probably .avi). First rip it to your hard drive (copy it to your desktop) and then convert it. Download HandBrake and use that to convert it to a H.264 .mp4 file that you can add to your iTunes library.

10. kolax macrumors G3

Sure it isn't Shockwave Player they are requiring and not Flash?

11. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

12. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

shockwave player??? wow blast from the past, i cant remember last time i heard that name. they still use that? in regards to the flash, it comes pre-installed on every mac for a fact. microsoft obviously hasn't had the sense to do that

13. kolax macrumors G3

Yep - there is still websites (or Shockwave based game sites) that use it. Got to run Safari in Rosetta to get it to work though.

14. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Flash comes w/ OSX pre-installed, but it is Flash 9 not 10.

15. kolax macrumors G3

Really?

Flash 10 came with mine ;)

16. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Interesting.. I never had Flash 10 installed, I always had to install it myself even on my new Alu MacBook.