Installing Fortran Compiler

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by pottsworth, Jan 14, 2011.

1. pottsworth macrumors newbie

Firstly hi, and thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer, and apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I've been trying to install a fortran compiler (either g95 or gfortran, preferably g95 as that's what we're using at uni, but not too fussed)
    I have searched all over the place, and read various thread on here, but still not managed to get either working.

I've tried mac ports, but always get
    Warning: No index(es) found! Have you synced your source indexes?
    even after running update a couple of times, and searching their website for a solution.
    I tried downloading darwin port, as this seemed to give fairly straightforward installation instructions for g95, but the download page for that is down.

I have also tried anything else I have found and vaguely understood, but most of it seems to either be for older OSs, or I simply didn't understand.

SO, what I'm looking for, if anyone knows of one, is a very very plain english (ie type this here) guide to installing either of the compilers (or making mac ports work, and installing if from that).

I have downloaded and installed apple developer tools, so as far as I know, have everything I need (in theory at least)

Thanks again in advance for any help

2. balamw, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011

balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. pottsworth thread starter macrumors newbie

That's brilliant!
    Thanks so much for your help

Does this need the apple developer tools, or can I get rid and free up 9gb on my hdd?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I believe so, esp. if you are just going to be running your code from Terminal. I'd keep it around if you want to do any GUI stuff in Obj-C 2.0.

B