Installing from DVD

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by DangerousDave2k, Aug 2, 2014.

1. DangerousDave2k macrumors member

Hi all,

I've been trying to reinstall Mavericks on my Macbook pro 15 (2011), but had no disks with which to do it. Anyway, I got hold of a copy of the Mavericks dmg file and burnt the image to a dual layer DVD, in the hopes of using that. When I press the .... thing.... button on startup, and get the option of selecting the currently installed OS or the one on the disk. But when I select the one on the disk, it only gets so far then gives me the 'no entry' sign (circle with a line across it).

Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

2. nexus4life macrumors regular

Firstly, do you have a USB drive by chance? You are likely to save yourself a lot of headaches this way. If not, we can try with DVD, but know that the last version of Mac Os to ship via DVD was back in Snow Leopard.

3. DangerousDave2k thread starter macrumors member

I do - I cleared out a 16GB USB drive for the job but that effort stalled when it came to getting the dmg file onto it, because the dmg is currently on my windows PC. I could format it to NTFS to do it, but then I don't think the mac would read it.

----------

I just realised I have an external USB hard drive... ok, so I can get my dwg to the MB I guess. What should I do then?

4. nexus4life macrumors regular

You can format the flash drive as NTFS and move the DMG over to it. Mac OS can then copy it.

Mac OS has native read support for NTFS, you just can't write to it without third party utilities.

5. DangerousDave2k thread starter macrumors member

So I've formatted the USB drive in what I've read is the correct way. Do you know how I put the dmg file onto it?

6. nexus4life macrumors regular

If you downloaded the DMG file on Windows, then just simply copy and paste it onto the USB drive. Plug the drive into your Mac and then drag it onto your desktop.

Unless you mean you formatted it, got the file on the Mac, and are now ready to make the bootable USB mavericks installer. In which case, refer to this guide and choose best option for you: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/1...otable-os-x-10-9-mavericks-usb-install-drive/

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Another option is to boot into Internet Recovery mode, and install OS X directly from Apple's servers.
    Just reboot with Command-Option-R and choose to Reinstall OS X. That may install Lion, or may offer you Mavericks as a direct install.

8. nexus4life macrumors regular

"may install Lion" is the only reason I didn't recommend this method. But it certainly would work.

9. DangerousDave2k thread starter macrumors member

I think I tried internet recovery before. I can't remember why, but it didn't work. Possibly because I didn't have some apple account and password?

10. nexus4life macrumors regular

Okay, and if you don't want to use it/doesn't work, then revert to the method I gave you above.

11. DangerousDave2k thread starter macrumors member

No joy. Neither the disk utility nor diskmaker X seems to like the file. Diskmaker X says it 'may be incomplete'.

----------

Trying the internet recovery now

----------

Before I do something dramatic, is it possible to erase the old OS as part of an internet restore?

And will it ask me for any unexpected passwords or account details as part of the process?

----------

Right - this is what it asked me before. I need an Apple account and, presumably, to pay to download it from the App store. Is that correct?

----------

Ok stuck again. Created an ID. The installer says it's not been used with the app store, nothing else, and boots me back to the mavericks screen.

12. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

Firstly, "The Mavericks dmg file" tells me you didn't get it the proper way from apple. You must have got it somewhere else. Somewhere that is unauthorised and somewhere that may be giving you a corrupted version. So that was your first mistake.

To remedy this, delete the said dmg file. Then get it from apple the proper way by just downloading it from the mac app store. It will download as an installer app in your applications folder.

Then your second mistake was to simply burn your dmg file to a dvd thinking that will work.

No. It won't. Not that way anyway.

There is however a way to make a bootable dvd installer.

If you want such a DVD, then after downloading the Install OS X Mavericks.app file from the Mac App Store, run these 12 commands in Terminal to create a Mavericks.iso file and then burn it to a dual layer DVD with Disk Utility. You may then boot up from it by holding the option key down and then install mavericks. This will not install a recovery partition. To do that, uncompress and run the script file https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13872235/Musings/Recovery Partition Creator 3.7.zip

hdiutil attach /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_app

hdiutil convert /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.dmg -format UDSP -o /tmp/Mavericks

hdiutil resize -size 8g /tmp/Mavericks.sparseimage

hdiutil attach /tmp/Mavericks.sparseimage -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_build

rm /Volumes/install_build/System/Installation/Packages

cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/Packages /Volumes/install_build/System/Installation/

hdiutil detach /Volumes/install_app

hdiutil detach /Volumes/install_build

hdiutil resize -size `hdiutil resize -limits /tmp/Mavericks.sparseimage | tail -n 1 | awk '{ print $1 }'`b /tmp/Mavericks.sparseimage

hdiutil convert /tmp/Mavericks.sparseimage -format UDTO -o /tmp/Mavericks

rm /tmp/Mavericks.sparseimage

mv /tmp/Mavericks.cdr ~/Desktop/Mavericks.iso