Installing Fusion + XP, Do I need a partition like Boot Camp?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by illegalprelude, Nov 4, 2010.

1. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Hey everybody, quick question. I know with Boot Camp, you need to create a partition and install Windows on it. Is the same true with Fusion? Or during the install process, Fusion will create the space needed?

2. brucem91 macrumors 6502

yes and no. By default, Virtual Machines create a virtual HardDrive on your HDD, and you can set the size. However, for those that need windows or other to run native occasionally, VMWare/Parallels can now run win/other virtually or in a dual-boot.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You do not need to partition your HDD for VMWare/Parallels/Virtualbox. they all create, by default, a virtual HDD as files on the HDD of your choice.

As the previous poster implied, you apace also use a real partition, but do that only if you also need a native boot.

B

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I used to have a Boot Camp partition that I used with Fusion, but I never booted natively, so I eliminated it. I just run virtually now and have never missed it.

PS - I don't game

5. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Yea, I won't need anything crazy out of windows. Just when dealing with PC clients that I might have to do some Outlook, IE and whatever office type windows programming that might be needed. Thanks for that answer.

Then it really is as simple as, I have Fusion already installed. Then run Fusion, insert Windows XP disc (in my case) and I select the amount of space I wish to give to Windows and a few hours later, I'm done?

6. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Yes, that easy.

7. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude