Installing games/software using the cloud/Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by QueenofRandom, Apr 4, 2012.

1. QueenofRandom macrumors newbie

Ok, so my poor little MacBook Pro is now four years old and it basically died on me last night. Well told me its dying and I need to rebuild. That's fine. From that I was thinking I should invest in a new Mac.

Now going through the process I could see I could update to a SSD, something that really appeals to me. Of course this is expensive, especially for a larger drive. I do filming, video, audio and photo editing with my machine using the full Adobe Suite and ProTools, so I need a fair bit of space. I do have a Time Machine, and I was wondering is there a way I could use my 1tb on there to install and run software and games over the cloud as it were? Or if there is a way for me to do this, as it then means I can get a SSD that isn't as big, and can be used to just save some documents and files, whilst my Time Machine has all the larger stuff.

Hopefully that made sense, I can't really think of a more succinct way to say it. Thanks for any help!

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

If you are going the SSD in you Mac consider moving the large iTunes library to an external (non-time Machine Volume). Just watch the video How to move an iTunes library to an external drive. Just make sure you get an external that plugs to your wireless router or to the fastest port on your Mac.