Installing GIMP / GIMPshop

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pink.gumdrops, Sep 19, 2010.

1. pink.gumdrops macrumors newbie

So tonight, I tried to install GIMP. I downloaded it and everything, and dragged it into my Applications folder, and it seemed like everything was fine, until I tried to launch the app. When GIMP started bouncing in my dock, X11 started and a sort of text document came up. So, I tried to delete it and re-download it, to no avail.
    Then I tried installing GIMPshop, to see if that would be any different. I guess you could say it was: when I tried launching that, X11 opened and it quit GIMPShop.

I am running a brand-new MacBook Pro 2010 OS X 10.6.4.

I'm pretty sure I downloaded the right version of GIMP (2.4.10 for Mac 10.6.x GIMP / 2.2.11 GIMPshop - actually, looking back on that website, it looks like it's only compatible with OS X 10.3 & 10.4), but is there something else I should have done before I tried to open it? Does anyone know anything I can do to get GIMP to work? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance. :)

2. LPZ macrumors 65816

Get the most recent version available from here. And be patient the first time you open Gimp, as the initial startup is a bit slow.

2.4.10 is old. The link above provides 2.6.10.

3. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Gimpshop is long dead, don't bother it has not been updated for years.

4. bingbauer macrumors newbie

I dwn loaded GIMP 2.6.10 and X11 X11 1.1.3 - XFree86 4.4.0 onto my mac (OS X 10.4.11) Both are on my computer but I do not have a menu bar for GIMP and heard that is because I need to make X11 my foremost app or something. I have no idea how to do this. Or how to make this program work. Help pleeezzz...

5. LPZ macrumors 65816

To make X11 your foremost app you should probably just click on the X11 dock icon.