Installing Hard Drive in 17" Unibody * Video *

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by detz, Feb 22, 2009.

1. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

worlds biggest ever mousemat :D

are you wearing slippers?
    You should really get dressed smartly to worship your new 17" Macbook Pro...

(You meant to say Superdrive! :D)

2. detz thread starter macrumors 65816

It's a gaming mousepad. :p I'm still in my PJ's...

3. kolax macrumors G3

I was half expecting a MacBook Pro v Kitten video ;)

4. detz thread starter macrumors 65816

He wanted to play fetch..bastard never gets tired.

5. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

thanx for the awesome video!! i really needed this..

6. vote4anh macrumors newbie

7. Jottle macrumors 6502

I wish the hard drive on my 15'' had those little bumper screws like your 17'' has. I have a theory that they're better at isolating the hard drive from the case and allow for a quieter drive with less noticeable vibration during everyday use. I may try to rig up something similar using rubber grommets in my 15'' unibody macbook pro.

8. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

I'm sorry to hear your cat doesn't have a father.

9. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

My MacBook has those "bumper" type screws to support the hard drive and to cancel out the vibrations. Why wouldn't the 15" MBP have them?

10. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Thanks for the video. I'm planning on getting one probably later this year when the first revision comes out. Makes me want one now though!

I know before I've always been told to take the battery out before doing any work on a laptop. I wonder if there's a way to unplug the battery so there's no connected power source before doing any work or upgrades.

11. Jottle macrumors 6502

On the macbook pro, the bumpers are built into the case. They aren't attached to the hard disk itself. Well, there are actually only two on the disk itself. You can see the two case rubber bumpters in the left corner of the following pictures. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of the hard disk by itself.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

The hard drive is secured by 4 bumper screws on 2 of the longest sides. These are secured by the 2 block things and the long bar (with the screw). They should cancel out any vibrations and noise. I have not found any problems with my MacBook with a 320GB 7200RPM (before upgrade) or the current 500GB 5400RPM.

13. Jottle macrumors 6502

search around. There's no real issue with vibration on the 5400 drives. There is just very little dampening between the hard drive and the metal palm rest. So hard drive noise is somewhat more present as a result of the acoustic properties of the aluminum casing. It's not a defect or anything. I'm just trying to dampen the sound. Note that when you put your hand over the right palm rest area, the HD whir becomes almost nil in a quiet environment. The aluminum chasis tends to make sounds resonate.