Installing Hard Drive in second optical bay?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JesterJJZ, Nov 14, 2007.

1. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Is this a bad idea? I've heard you can put a pata drive in there. I was thinking of putting a small drive in there for my itunes library.

2. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

My understanding is that it works fine, but I would (obviously) only do it after your other 4 bays were full.

3. benpatient macrumors 68000

A small drive for your iTunes library?

:)

My iTunes hard drive is 300 GB.

but I guess that will be considered small pretty soon.

4. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I guess by small I meant...not 1TB! :D

5. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I was just thinking of the option becuase I have a pata drive that I'm not using for anything.

6. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

7. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I've got a spare pata drive that I pulled from my G4 inside my Mac Pro, it works just fine and I just use it as an extra drive to store crap.

8. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

The point is not to spent gobs of money on an iTunes drive. I have a 250gig pata drive that is just sitting here. Just wanted to know if it was safe to stick it in the drive bay. I already have 4 drives in my tower. How will the power supply hold up?

9. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

I have 4x500GB drives in the main slots and the original sata drive in the 2nd drive bay. No problems.
    The MPs power supply is 1000W so you could do a biiiiig pile of pata drives,if you would want to... :)

Installing the pata drive should be easy too,since you will have the cabling right next to you. Just get a cable extender for the power and the pata.
    Should be a 10 min job.
    You are lucky as you dont need to reroute a sata cable from the free sata slots on the mobo...

10. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Ha yeah...for those I ordered this for my externals...:D

http://www.newertech.com/products/esata_cable.php

Are those ports that big a pain to get to?

11. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

the are a bit...

BUT.

if you have angle pliers (those funny thin pliers that look like a peak of a storch) it is easy.
    I tried to put the connector onto place without removing the fans.
    I didn't succeed with my stumpy fingers,even if I tried for 10 minutes...
    With pliers it took about 20 seconds. you just need a 90^ angled sata cable so it won't hit the fan assembly.
    AND a steady hand that you don't scratch the mobo with your pliers...

12. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Ok...I put the drive in and it appears to be working fine. But I get a second of "static" on the screen before OSX boots up. What's the deal? Should I take the drive out?

13. 9Charms macrumors regular

9Charms

some people don't recommend putting a hard drive and optical drive on the same bus, such as you are doing now. I've never been quite clear why not, but maybe someone on this forum can clarify.

14. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Yeah just to be safe I'm swapping it out for a sata drive which I'll hook up to one of the extra sata ports.

15. 8corePRO macrumors newbie

for $14 i mounted a 5th hard drive in my 2nd optical bay of 2008 Mac Pro

http://www.svc.com/nx-doubletwin.html

not only does this provide mounting screws to secure your 5th hard drive, but it has rubber supports to prevent any vibrations from being carried. your case stays quiet and the drive is supsended by rubber, great cheap solution instead of buying a $90 mounting kit from maxupgrades

you will need a molex to sata power adapter (to connect to IDE DVD power cable) and a sata cable to plug into the 1 of the 2 extra sata ports that comes on the 2008 Mac Pro which can be found here and here for $3 and $4 respectively

16. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

Just a heads up: the ODD SATA port (the other 2 ports on the mobo) aren't bootable with Windows unless you have AHCI enabled. You can't install Windows to a drive connected to the ODD SATA port. I learned the hard way after trying to put my Windows drive up in there.
    Now I have a 1TB drive for movies and such in the disk bay and it runs perfectly. I made my own mounting bracket out of sheet metal to save money ;)