Installing hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mac5334, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Mac5334 macrumors newbie

I just purchased a WD Caviar 1TB 16MB 7200 Sata 3 HD. I am trying to install it into my MP 2*2.66. Disk utility will not partition it or let me do anything. It comes up as "Media" Serial ATA 2 Total Capacity - 0, SMART Status Not supported and Partition Map scheme - unformatted. I tried to partition the drive like I stated earlier, but it will not do anything. Please help. Thanks.

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

That's weird. You might have a bad drive. The only way to really find out though is try it in a different computer.

3. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

have you tried using your Restore Disks or the Leopard Disc (if you're running leopard) and opened disk utility from those disks and tried?

or perhaps have access to an external case to attempt to format to?

goodluck with it :cool:

4. Mac5334 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried Disk Utility from Leopard and does the same thing as it does by doing straight from the computer.

Does this mean a bad drive?

5. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Just to be sure, will disk utility let you erase it?

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Some drives require being formatted before you can really use them. This would be the simplest thing. Otherwise I would check the drive in a different bay and a different computer (if that is possible).

If I recall correctly I did not have to format my Seagate drives, but I did have to format my WD Raptors.

7. Mac5334 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, Disk utility will not allow me to erase the drive.

8. Mac5334 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried the drive in a different bay, but the samething happened. I do not have the means to put into a different computer.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you may have a bad drive :0

thats not very good reputation points, havent even used it. id take it back

10. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Just to chime in on my experience with a WD 1TB Green drive:

Though it's a differant model than the OP had, I bought two WD 1TB Green drives the day I bought my Mac Pro back in June.

One drive still works perfectly to this day, the other began to die about a month after purchase. It would just disappear from finder and upon rebooting the computer, it would show up again for maybe 10 minutes, than be gone again. A few weeks later, it just died completly. I replaced it with a drive that the OP has and it works perfectly.

It's very much possible to get a bad one regardless of brand and they can be bad from the start.

You should bring it back while you can still exchange it. I will have to return mine to WD under the warranty but I probably will just throw it away because I'm too lazy to go through all the hassle of shipping it out.

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i have a 1tb WD Green edition and its perfectly fine, had it for a good 5months and its going strong as. i am constantly writing files larger than 5gb,10gb at least once a week.

12. Mac5334 thread starter macrumors newbie

I went out and purchased another WD Caviar 1TB and plugged it in and everything works.

Thanks for everyone's input. It was my first time trying to install an additional HD.

Thanks again.