Installing Harddrive voids warranty of MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by salilsundresh, May 18, 2008.

1. salilsundresh macrumors 6502

Will installing a new internal hard drive in my Macbook Pro void the warranty of my Macbook Pro or just the drive I'm taking out that Apple provided initially? If it does in fact void the warranty of Macbook Pro, does anyone know if/how much they charge at Apple authorized repair places for installing a hard drive that won't void my warranty on my Macbook Pro?

2. CortexRock macrumors 6502

Replacing the original Apple supplied hard drive with a new one doesn't void the warranty on the whole MBP, provided you don't break anything while you're installing it.

If you need to take your MBP in for servicing later on, you might want to put the old drive back in, to prevent Apple suggesting that you damaged the machine by changing a 'non-user-serviceable' part.

3. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

What he said^^^

4. PDE macrumors 68020

If you search you shall find that this has been asked many many times, and the answer has been debated and discussed with definitive answers even more frequently. It's so easy....

5. dmarch macrumors regular

dmarch

Ahhh, the eternal question. I recently swapped my 160 GB HDD for a Western Digital 320 GB. Before doing this I called Apple and was told that doing this procedure myself would void my warranty. I then asked if having an authorized repair center was OK. The answer was yes, and Apple would continue to warranty all but the HDD. I had my local repair center do it at a cost of $150.00 with no issues. When I picked up my unit, I asked about how this swap is documented with Apple. He said that it isn't, that only warranty parts replacements get noted. So my proof if I ever get questioned by Apple should they have to open it is to furnish my receipt from the service center. This receipt however, gives no details on what HDD was installed. Only that the work was done. For me it just wasn't worth the $150. to take the chance. As usual, YMMV
    Regards,
    Dan

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you people actually read the warranty terms you would have read this:

This warranty does not apply: (a) to damage caused by use with non-Apple products; (b) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, flood, fire, earthquake or other external causes; (c) to damage caused by operating the product outside the permitted or intended uses described by Apple; (d) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Server Provider ("AASP"); (e) to a product or part that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple;...

So if you have read this you will know that once you service the computer yourself without Apple's permission you are voiding the warranty. I'm sure you know that you can upgrade the memory without voiding the warranty because Apple has printed instruction on that in the user guide which is considering written permission.

7. PDE macrumors 68020

I think it's very clear from the above Apple text that as long as you don't cause damage while you're upgrading, your warranty will not be voided. Apple will of course void your warranty if you damage your computer while trying to upgrade it - that's a given, I think. The question of whether installing a new hard drive is considered to be modifying in order to alter functionality or capability is another one, but since you're only altering the capacity (not functionality or capability), I think it's questionable. Besieds, quite a few people have asked Apple and been told that as long as you don't mess anything up in the process, your warranty is fine. Search and you'll find it...

8. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

ditto. key word is "damage"

functionality and capability IMO is something like putting in a Draft N airport card in a 1st gen MBP, or adding a second wifi antenna, putting in a HD in place of the superdrive, etc.

9. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Some things are user swappable provided you don't cause any damage to other parts.

Apple even provides documentation on their website for doing so (DIY) however, I do believe the MBP HD is NOT swappable for an end user.

The Macbook HD IS one of those cases where Apple even provides detailed instructions on doing so since it is pretty easy to do.

Might want to check these things prior to performing work. Ignorance isn't an excuse IMO if the information is easy to obtain straight from Apple. Simple phone call or visit to the Apple store or even going to the Apple website.

Since you apparently haven't done the work yet, rather than taking debated information from casual users, I'd call Apple directly and ask them.

10. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

If you do the job, and break something, dont expect apple to cover your butt.

If you do the job, and all goes fine, you are ok. Just put the original HD back in for services.

theyll NEVER know.

11. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i wouldn't say never, unless you replace the yellow tape, once pulled up it doesn't stick back very well

12. danny_w macrumors 601

Oh yes, they'll know all right. Definitely. You will not be able to hide the fact that you opened the case, no matter how hard you try.

13. PDE macrumors 68020

I don't really think anybody sitting in the repair center will care enough to cause any trouble, unless it's obvious that the problem they're fixing is directly linked to the hard drive swap. If you're careful opening the case and don't strip the screws, I'm sure it will be fine.

The problem with calling Apple is that you'll get a different answer every time - try a few times and I'm sure you'll get hte answer you want! Remember to record it though...

14. WorldIRC macrumors 6502

I've had my laptop repaired under warranty no problem after replacing my HD myself...the problem was the Logic Board and they still didn't hesitate to fix it...then again, I went to a service centre, not Apple directly..and I suppose, its their "duty" to report the warranty claim legitimately but if there's no way to get "caught"...

But in any event, the problem I had was not at all involved with my abilities to upgrade a HD, which btw is very easy.

15. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

how? as far as i know you dont break any seals doing so.

how well tape sticks doesnt matter much if you've got a roll of Kapton tape.

16. brassmonkeyboy macrumors newbie

17. salilsundresh thread starter macrumors 6502

I finally got through to Apple Tech support and asked if replacing the hard drive in the Macbook Pro myself would void the warranty. It will NOT void my warranty he said. Anyways I was able to successfully install the hard drive, a little tedious but I think some people over exaggerate how difficult it is. It was relatively straight forward.