Installing HDD for a first time mac user

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by emir, Apr 25, 2010.

1. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

Hi, i will be getting the 2.4 ghz i5 mbp but i need more hdd. I am thinkinh of getting from owc but i live in turkey, do they ship international? Or do u know any site shipping international? Also do you think a first time mac user would be able to do all that. I watched some tutorials, hardware par looks easy, installing os is i am not sure about. Can i do it? Lastly, does osx and i life cds come with mbp?

Thank you

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

OWC does ship internationally, I think, but you're better off getting it from somewhere else. Look at some Turkish vendors, maybe they have it.

Installing OS X is A LOT easier than installing the HD. You just boot from the disk by holding C, then just click OK couple of times, select your HD and click install, wait for it to install and voilà, that's it.

All Macs come with both, OS X and iLife disk. The OS X disk is #1 (called Mac OS X installation disk) and iLife is disk #2 (called Application install disk)

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

OWC (MacSales) does ship to Turkey.

[​IMG]

Re-installation is easy, cloning via CarbonCopyCloner and SuperDuper and the new HDD in a 2.5" HDD USB enclosure is easier.

iLife is included on the restore DVDs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

Will i lose 1 year global warranty by changing hdd? And can i put 2hdd to my mbp? A terabyte hdd and a small ssd for os?

@spinnerlys

you mentioned making the exact copy if mac but which would be easier ,considering i will have nothing personal to save on the old hard drive, copying or installing from cd?

Last question mark hopefully in my head is will changing hdd to a 500gb or a terabyte affect the battery life dramatically?

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No, hard drive and RAM are user-serviceable parts which do not void your warranty.

As you have no files that needs to be transferred, install from the install disk, it's more secure and faster.

You can have two HDs if you remove the SuperDrive and install OptiBay but that voids your warranty.

If the 500GB is 5400rpm, it won't. 1TB is triple platter but 5200rpm so it may reduce it by some minutes but shouldn't reduce it dramatically