Installing iLife '09 on my new Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jeffreyk, Jan 27, 2009.

1. jeffreyk macrumors regular

jeffreyk

Since I'm new to Apple and Mac -- yes, unfortunately used to the Windows way of things -- I have a question before I install my new copy of iLife '09.

My mac pro arrived a few days ago (this past Friday afternoon) and I haven't downloaded or have any files added into what would be iLife '08 (iPhoto 08, iMovie 08, GarageBand 08, and iWeb 08) so I have nothing I need to backup. So, do I need to individually delete (i.e. drag and drop into trash) all four programs (found via Finder) before installing iLife 09, or will iLife 09 over write the older "08" programs?

Thanks!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The iLife '09 installer will take care of all the clean up for you and update the necessary libraries as well.

What was so hard about that?

3. jeffreyk thread starter macrumors regular

jeffreyk

I thought that would be the answer but I wanted to make sure as I didn't want to have two sets of iLife programs on my system. Since I'm brand new to the Mac way of things (from being a lifelong Windows user), well I just wanted my bases covered so I would do the right thing. I actually Googled my question and on the MacAddict forums someone stated that iLife would be installed but possibly the old iLife 08 programs would stay around on the hard drive and would need deleting. I didn't think that was true, so I posted the question on MacRumors. Thanks for your help.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

In most situations Windows and OS X can handle multiple versions of the same software side by side. Most installers are smart enough to remove older versions of its necessary or tell you to uninstall them.

5. jeffreyk thread starter macrumors regular

jeffreyk

Yeah, since everything is brand new on my Mac -- especially my HDD being as empty as it ever will be -- I just didn't want 2 programs of the same king (08 and 09) on the system taking up unnecessary space and cluttering it up if I can help it.

6. bmolloy macrumors newbie

Deleting Programs

Welcome to mac.

If you ever need to delete applications there is a great program that helps you clean up all the mess. It is called App Cleaner.

http://en.softonic.com/s/appcleaner:mac

Super easy to use, drag and drop removes all the program preferences etc.

Enjoy the new Mac.

7. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

Does the iLife 09 Install leave the previous iMovie HD if you are using that too?