Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sir.riel

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
Cambodia
hi all, i'm trying to update the firmware on my Crucial SSD, unfortunately crucial does not have a program to automatically update the firmware via internet, for mac. A bootable image file is provided and i have successfully burned it onto a USB, not DVD because my SSD had replaced it. Anyways, booting the system holding ALT(Option) does not bring up the USB and under Preference > Startup disk the usb is not showing up. Is there another way to install this image?

Thanks In Advance.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
hi all, i'm trying to update the firmware on my Crucial SSD, unfortunately crucial does not have a program to automatically update the firmware via internet, for mac. A bootable image file is provided and i have successfully burned it onto a USB, not DVD because my SSD had replaced it. Anyways, booting the system holding ALT(Option) does not bring up the USB and under Preference > Startup disk the usb is not showing up. Is there another way to install this image?

Thanks In Advance.

Are you sure that you burned it the right way into the USB stick?

Did you use the Restore function in Disk Utility?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Unfortunately, you can't just throw an ISO onto a USB stick and have it work.

If you have access to a Windows PC, I strongly recommend downloading the ISO file there, then per Crucial's instructions, download the ISO onto it, along with PenDrive Linux USB installer, and use that to install the ISO onto the USB stick to make it bootable.

If you don't have access to a Windows PC, then your only option is to follow these instructions for creating a bootable USB from an ISO on a Mac, except every time those instructions refer to the Ubuntu ISO, replace that with the Crucial firmware ISO instead.

Note, you'll really need to be familiar with Disk Utility and Terminal to follow the Mac instructions, and if you do any one step even slightly wrong, it won't work. And in some cases, if you accidentally ID the wrong drive, you might even wipe out the data on your SSD or some other drive you have plugged in. This is why I recommend making the bootable USB on Windows if you can.

Last edited:

sir.riel

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
Cambodia
Are you sure that you burned it the right way into the USB stick?

Did you use the Restore function in Disk Utility?

yes i did, i looked up a lot of tutorials and i believe i did it correctly but in the end booting the ISO in a usb didn't work, even Crucial says they do not have a solution at the moment.

Unfortunately, you can't just throw an ISO onto a USB stick and have it work.

If you have access to a Windows PC, I strongly recommend downloading the ISO file there, then per Crucial's instructions, download the ISO onto it, along with PenDrive Linux USB installer, and use that to install the ISO onto the USB stick to make it bootable.

If you don't have access to a Windows PC, then your only option is to follow these instructions for creating a bootable USB from an ISO on a Mac, except every time those instructions refer to the Ubuntu ISO, replace that with the Crucial firmware ISO instead.

Note, you'll really need to be familiar with Disk Utility and Terminal to follow the Mac instructions, and if you do any one step even slightly wrong, it won't work. And in some cases, if you accidentally ID the wrong drive, you might even wipe out the data on your SSD or some other drive you have plugged in. This is why I recommend making the bootable USB on Windows if you can.

thanks for the info. i've spent the whole day researching and trying different methods but it didn't work, then i read on Crucial's forum that no one has had success with this, so I just reinstalled my optical drive and burned a disc. so I finally got the update, a still a PITA! the update took about 1minute.

Cuniac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2013
Phoenix
This is why its good to have a cheep external DVD drive around. CD/DVD/Blu-Ray (except for console gaming) are kinda on their way out but there not gone yet..

sir.riel

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
Cambodia
This is why its good to have a cheep external DVD drive around. CD/DVD/Blu-Ray (except for console gaming) are kinda on their way out but there not gone yet..

yea i plan to buy an external case for my optical drive. i wonder if this would work via usb port, considering that the USB method doesn't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.