Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chompey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
Hello, I am quite desperate on knowing how to exactly install Intel-based video drivers for the GM965 Express Chipset Family series (X3100 to be exact). This is for someone else so please bare with me on my somewhat lack of details.

Basically she runs Mac OS X 10.5.7, and recently purchased bootcamp software called VMware Fusion. This apparently allows her to run Windows as an application on Mac, thus making it compatible to play PC games. So we went ahead and head to the Intel website to download the driver for her driver, (Her VM uses XP Professional 32-bit, so that was the download I gave for her). Well she downloaded it, attempted to install, but it said "The system does not meet the minimum requirements".

That's where I hit a dead-end, because I am not familiar with Macs at all, especially Bootcamp, and have no idea or clue on how to proceed from here. Plus the latest driver is an absolute necessity for her, so could anyone please help me out here and tell me how does one exactly install an Intel driver for an Intel card on a Mac?

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
If it's a virtual machine, it won't see the real hardware. Install the VMWare Tools within the application.

Chompey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
VMWare Tools is installed, but my friend said there's no status bar for all the upgrading and stuff (lol?). So like I said, I'm lacking on some details on that part. But you're saying that when VMWare Tools is fully up to date, the VM will recognize the Intel card and thats when the driver will work?

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
VMWare Tools is installed, but my friend said there's no status bar for all the upgrading and stuff (lol?). So like I said, I'm lacking on some details on that part. But you're saying that when VMWare Tools is fully up to date, the VM will recognize the Intel card and thats when the driver will work?

The hardware is virtualized, meaning the VM won't see the Intel adapter in the system. It will only appear as a VMWare display adapter, and the VMWare Tools give you the appropriate driver for it.

VMWare Tools are all you need.

Chompey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
So you're saying that if one was to play a game on the VM, it would be running on the virtualized hardware provided by VMWare? Because I remember a thread somewhere in the Apple Gaming section where someone actually updated their driver for the X3100 and managed to play significantly better on Red Alert 3 through VMWare.

Sorry about going on with this issue, but I want to know as much as I can before I step out of here.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
So you're saying that if one was to play a game on the VM, it would be running on the virtualized hardware provided by VMWare? Because I remember a thread somewhere in the Apple Gaming section where someone actually updated their driver for the X3100 and managed to play significantly better on Red Alert 3 through VMWare.

Sorry about going on with this issue, but I want to know as much as I can before I step out of here.

They probably did that in native Windows running via Bootcamp, not VMWare.

Chompey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
Ah yes you're right good sir. Thanks for your help, it is apparent that VMWare Tools just needs to run fully and complete itself to fix all the weird fuzziness happening around the VM. Thanks for your time and help mate!

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Ah yes you're right good sir. Thanks for your help, it is apparent that VMWare Tools just needs to run fully and complete itself to fix all the weird fuzziness happening around the VM. Thanks for your time and help mate!

No problem. :) It's all one big learning process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.