Installing iOS 4.1 on a 3G, backup stalling immediately

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Tybee, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Tybee macrumors member

Tybee

Hey folks,

I did several searches and could find no help with this particular issue. I'm trying to upgrade my 3G running 3.1.whatever to iOS 4.1. To do this, I am using a 2 y.o. MacBook Pro and iTunes 10. In preparation for the upgrade, I did several syncs and allowed it to back up the phone completely each time. The most recent backup portion took less than 5 mins.

Yet when I go to install the update (via the "Update" button, not "Restore"), it gets to the "Backing up 'iPhone'..." stage but will go no further. I've let the latest attempt run for over an hour and the progress bar for the backup has not progressed further than a 1-pixel sliver. I've seen other folks complain about the update itself stalling out, but I can't even get to that point.

I tried deleting the update file under Users/.../Library/iTunes/Updates and restarting iTunes, but then it just redownloaded the update again and stalled out in the exact same spot.

Any help you can offer would be very much appreciated.

2. Tybee thread starter macrumors member

Tybee

3 hours in and there is movement, but backup only to 5% or so of progress bar. Clearly, something is wrong. Is there any way I can speed this up?

3. lukefinch macrumors 6502

lukefinch

mine did this too, same software, same phone.

I did this and it worked instantly...

1, unplug the phone mid restore, it will bring you to the connect to itunes image

2, force quite itunes

3, open your applications folder and put the itunes application into the trash

4, re-download itunes 10 from apples website

5, install itunes 10, start it, plug the iphone in and restore/update to os 4.1

I really hope this helps as it worked for me this morning :D

It turned out that itunes was the problem, not the phone.

4. Tybee thread starter macrumors member

Tybee

Thanks for the suggestion. Turned out to be simpler than that. Just used the "restore" option and everything worked great. Both my phone and my wife's run MUCH faster now, which I did not expect (probably as much from the cleanup afforded by the restore as from the new iOS).

For 3G folks running 3.1 who are still on the fence, I highly recommend the upgrade.