Installing iWork '05 on OS 10.2.8

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Moo-Boo, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Moo-Boo macrumors regular

Moo-Boo

My dear Mac kids,

I have a small problem, which involves a Summer 2000 DV 400MHz iMac, OS 10.2.8 and iWork '05. After much researching and experimentation, it was found that 10.2.8 is the fastest system for the DV iMac, barring OS 9 of course. I want to install iWork '05, but it demands 10.3.6. Is there a way around this, or am I doomed to a slower system? I'm hoping to sell this to a good friend in the next couple of months (who is just about over Windows) so I want this iMac to be the best it could be. The other alternative is to put on 10.3.6 or higher, but it's just too heavy for the iMac...unless, of course, you know something I don't!

Thanks for all your help and God bless,

Matt

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I have to disagree with you. I have no idea how you conducted your "experiments," but I doubt seriously that a controlled experiment will show that MacOS 9 is the fastest OS on your computer, except for special cases. Your computer is certified to run MacOS X 10.3.9. You have ample RAM. You also have sufficient hard drive space. Most users find that this OS is faster than MacOS X 10.2.

Having said that, MacOS X loves free hard drive space so that its virtual memory system has sufficient headroom. For this reason, you should keep 10% of your hard drive was free capacity. I recommend an upgrade if you have less than 10 GB.

Install MacOS X 10.3. Install iWork '05. Don't waste your time trying to get it to work on an OS that is too old to support it. You will also find that your computer's performance will likely be better that the performance on MacOS 9.

3. Moo-Boo thread starter macrumors regular

Moo-Boo

Thank you for replying to my post, and it's clear that you know your Macs. Under OS 9 and 10.2.8, video playback in full screen was possible, but not under 10.3. Video playback is a very good indication of performance. Even 480 x 360 videos were fine, but not under 10.3. Hence my perseverance with 10.2.8.

Matt

4. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

5. Moo-Boo thread starter macrumors regular

Moo-Boo

384MB. Not a huge amount, but not too bad either.