installing jaguar problems,exit code 0, volume header?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by louisab, Feb 10, 2009.

1. louisab macrumors newbie

please help me!!!
    i have jaguar 10.2.8 and trying to re install my original software that came with it. os9classic/0sx jag.

at first after puttingthe cd in I was getting to the 2 bullet 'reading packages' and it froze
    saying i had problems with my btree cat. so i ran disk utility from the disk and found these errors and fixed them.
    I still have a major error which is the volume header block.... ' the free block counts are in correct etc 6,1,9'
    i tried to install again and get to the same point 'reading packages' it freezes goes to a blur screen and says 'installer has quit exit code 0 please restart'

i dont know how to fix that volume problem... would be the problem for not installing...... my 1st install disc is slighty scratched :-(
    i want to be sure that my hard drive is okay as i want to upgrade to leopard.
    ( iwas very suprised after turning on my g4 after 3 years that i cant have the latest flash 10!) lol

please please help me i really need advice and help :apple:

2. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

If you've backed up any files on the hard drive I'd use Disk Utility to format it (under the "Erase" tab). I can't remember if the Jaguar install disk has the option but you should try "zeroing" the drive which will map out any bad blocks it has. Then try reinstalling Jaguar.

Note I have a spare Leopard disk that I'm selling, PM me if you're interested. I'm in London too.

3. louisab thread starter macrumors newbie

i cant pm...

activation link not working for me....
    thanks

4. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

OK, I'd remove your email from the post as it'll get picked up by spambots.

5. louisab thread starter macrumors newbie

ive deleted my HD, so now i have nothing on it :-/ lol

im trying to install my jag cd again and getting to the same point of installation were it says 'reading packages' and it quits on me saying exit code 0.......

I personally reckon its the cd....

any suggestions

6. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Did you get my email?

I agree it does sound like the scratched disk isn't helping.

7. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

This could also be a dirty cdrom head, which can be clean with a cdrom cleaner (its a disk with little brushes on it). Or faulty ram / harddrive.

Things to try:
    -Repairing the cd with a scratch remover kit (found at radioshack)
    -Cleaning the cdrom with a cdrom cleaner (found at radioshack)
    -Try moving the ram around in the system or different ram
    -Try a different harddrive